Application Periods & Deadlines
Applications are only available during our application period. We accept applications
during the following times:
- January 22 - February 28 for summer admission
- September 1 - September 30 for winter admission
All materials must be received in the Division office (B-6 of the PCC Foothill Campus)
by Feb. 28 or September 30 at 3 pm. If the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday,
then the deadline is the following business day.
General Admission Information
Before applying to the Career Ladder Nursing program, please review the following
admission requirements and recommendations.
- Nursing students must have the ability to communicate safely, accurately, and effectively
in both written and spoken English.
- Transcripts and applications are not kept on file. Prior applications and transcripts
are shredded after the completion of the selection process.
- It is highly recommended that basic science courses (microbiology, anatomy and physiology)
be completed within the past five years with a grade of “C” or higher. The BRN requires
a C or better in all BRN required coursework in order to be considered for licensure.
Sociology 101 or equivalent is now required by the BRN for licensure.
- It is recommended that you complete non-nursing courses prior to beginning the RN
program. The program is very rigorous and students will generally not be able to manage
additional classes or work during the semesters they are in the program.
- An Assessment/readiness test (TEAS 6) is required. This is a basic test of reading,
vocabulary, math and science that has been determined to be linked with success in
a nursing program. A minimum score of 62 is required to apply to the nursing program.
Study materials can be purchased from the following website: www.atitesting.com. Register
and pay the test fee through ATI and take the proctored exam at an ATI approved site.
Official results must be sent to PCC Nursing for consideration in admission.
- Social Security number is required to be admitted to the program. The clinical sites
we use require each student to have a social security number to register and chart
in the electronic medical record (EMR) and complete the clinical portion of their
- Submission of an application packet does not guarantee admission.
How to Apply
1 Complete Your Application Packet
To apply to the Career Ladder Nursing program you need to submit a complete application
packet which includes:
- A completed Career Ladder program application
Applications are only available online during the filing periods (Jan 22 - Feb 28
or September 1 - September 30).
- One official U.S. high school transcript or GED certificate or Equivalency Report
from one of the college’s acceptable companies
This is not required if an Associate or higher degree is posted on U.S. college transcripts.
- One official transcript of ALL U.S. colleges and universities attended, including
Pasadena City College*
*If you have foreign transcripts, please read our information on how to have your
- One official transcript from the LVN school you graduated from.
- Copy of your current California LVN license (front & back)
- Printout of TEAS VI transcript with an Adjusted Individual Total score of 62 or higher.
- Documentation of all applicable criteria for awarding points.
Be aware that unofficial transcripts and photocopies of diplomas are not acceptable,
and incomplete applications will not be considered in the selection process. If you
are accepted into the program, the college’s Records Office will also require transcripts.
2 Submit Your Application Packet
You must submit your application to the Health Sciences Division office by 3pm on
the final day of the application period (February 28 or September 30). If the deadline
falls on a weekend or holiday, then the deadline is the following business day.
Pasadena City College
Career Ladder Nursing Program
Health Sciences Division B-6
3035 East Foothill Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91107
Selection to the program is based on the following criteria:
- GPA in Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, and English (maximum 25 points). Minimum
2.5 GPA to apply.
- Approved Diagnostic Assessment Tool TEAS ( maximum 25 points). A minimum score of
62 to apply.
- Completion of relevant coursework required for RN licensure (maximum 30 points)
- Relevant healthcare certificates, current patient care experience, veteran status,
previous academic degree (maximum 15 points)
- Life experiences or special circumstances of an applicant (all applicants receive
the maximum 3 points)
- Proficiency or advanced coursework in languages other than English (maximum 2 points)
See the Full Selection Criteria Here
We will notify applicants to the Career Nursing Program by email approximately 10
weeks after the close of the application period.
Upon acceptance to the program, you will be required to:
- Complete the application for admission to Pasadena City College. Apply Now.
- Complete a Health Clearance (forms will be provided) and enter medical and immunization
data into CastleBranch.com
- Complete an annual background check through CastleBranch.com to be able to attend
clinical experiences. Details regarding these clearances will be provided with the
acceptance packet upon selection. Clinical affiliation sites require an unencumbered
If you have questions or concerns about the background check, we encourage you to
make an appointment to discuss these concerns with the nursing program director. You
can also view some of the issues on the BRN website at www.rn.ca.gov.
If you are a student with foreign transcripts, you must have your transcripts evaluated
by one of the following three companies before applying. A detailed/comprehensive
report with breakdown of upper and lower division courses is required.
International Research Foundation (IERF)
(310) 258-9451 | www.ierf.org
Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute (ACEI)
(310) 275-3530 | www.aceil.com
American Education Research Center (AERC)
(626) 339-4404 | www.aerc-eval.com