Application Periods & Deadlines
We accept applications every year from March 1 - April 1. Your application and all
required materials must be received in the Division office (B-6 of the CEC) by 3 pm
on the final day of the application period. LVN Application
If the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, then the deadline is the following
General Admission Information
Before applying to the Licensed Vocational Nursing Program, please review the following
admission requirements and recommendations.
- You must have the ability to communicate safely, accurately, and effectively in both
written and spoken English. If English is your second second language, we encourage you to
enroll in Speech 3, 10, 121 and/or 125 and Medical Assisting 115 to enhance your
- A maximum of five seats will be reserved for applicants who have successfully completed
the Certified Nursing Assistant course (NURS 103) at Pasadena City College, who have
a letter of recommendation from their CNA instructor and have a current California
Nurse Assistant Certificate (expired certificates not accepted).
- If you are selected for acceptance to the LVN program you must take the LVN TEAS exam
and achieve an adjusted individual score of 58 or higher. If you score less than 58,
you will be given a remediation plan to complete within one year. Enrollment in the
LVN program is delayed until remediation is complete and you score 58 or higher on
the retake of the LVN TEAS exam within one year.
- You must resubmit transcripts and applications each application period.
- Prerequisites must be complete before you can enroll in LVN courses. However, “In
Progress” work for the prerequisites may be considered during the selection process.
Final selection is pending evidence of satisfactory completion of any “in progress”
prerequisites. View Prerequisites
- We highly recommend that basic science courses (nutrition, physiology, math and psychology)
are completed within the past five years with a grade of “C” or higher.
- All courses offered in the Vocational Nursing Program may be challenged for credit.
Contact the department for information.
- Submission of an application does not guarantee acceptance.
If you are requesting a transfer from another nursing programs or advanced placement,
you will need to obtain a petition from Student and Learning Services in L-112.
How to Apply
1 Apply for admission to PCC
If you are not currently enrolled at PCC, you need to apply for admission to the college
in addition to applying to the Vocational Nursing Program. Apply now to PCC .
2 Complete Your Application Packet
To apply to the Vocational Nursing Program you need to submit a complete application
packet which includes:
- A completed Vocational Nursing program application
Applications are only available online during the filing periods (Mar 1 - Apr 1).
- One official U.S. high school transcript or GED certificate or Equivalency Report
from one of the college’s acceptable companies
This is not required if an Associate or higher degree is posted on U.S. college transcripts.
- One official transcript of ALL U.S. colleges and universities attended, including
Pasadena City College*
*If you have foreign transcripts, please read our information on how to have your
- Copy of a valid California Nurse Assistant Certificate
Expired certificates are not accepted
- PCC Assessment Testing Printout showing eligibility in English 1A.
Be aware that unofficial transcripts and photocopies of diplomas are not acceptable,
and incomplete applications will not be considered in the selection process. If you
are accepted into the program, the college’s Records Office will also require transcripts.
3 Submit Your Application Packet
You must submit your application to the Health Sciences Division office by 3pm on
the final day of the application period (April 1st). If the deadline falls on a weekend
or holiday, then the deadline is the following business day.
Pasadena City College
Licensed Vocational Nursing Program
Health Sciences Division B-6
3035 East Foothill Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91107
We use the following criteria to determine acceptance amongst eligible applicants:
- New applicants to the VN program who have completed all requirements and prerequisites
with a grade of “C” or higher have priority admission.
- Students who withdrew from the VN program a year ago and are eligible for readmission.
- Transfer students.
If the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of positions available, selections
will be prioritized according prerequisite grade point average. Additional qualified
applicants will be placed on an alternate list.
We will notify applicants to the Vocational Nursing Program by email approximately
12 weeks after the close of the application period.
Upon acceptance to the program, you will be required to:
- Complete a Health Clearance (forms will be provided)
- Complete a criminal background check in order to be able to attend clinical experiences.
Details regarding these clearances will be provided with the acceptance packet upon
If you have questions or concerns about the background check, we encourage you to
make an appointment to discuss these concerns with the nursing program director. You
can also view some of the issues on the BRN website at www.rn.ca.gov.
If you are a student with foreign transcripts, you must have your transcripts evaluated
by one of the following three companies before applying:
International Research Foundation (IERF)
(310)-258-9451 | www.ierf.org
Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute (ACEI)
(310)-275-3530 | www.aceil.com
American Education Research Center (AERC)
(626)-339-4404 | www.aerc-eval.com