Application Periods & Deadlines
March 1 - April 1. We only accept applications filled out and submitted online during the application period. All materials must be received by April 1.
To All Applicants:
Pasadena City College is responding to the coronavirus outbreak. This is a very fluid situation, and the college is adapting its response as events change.
All complete applications will be processed. There will be a delay in notifying students of their status due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Thank you for your patience and understanding in this unusual situation we are all currently facing. Watch this page for the latest updates.
We also encourage you to visit the following website for additional information https://pasadena.edu/about/president/coronavirus-updates/index.php
General Admission Information
Before applying to the Licensed Vocational Nursing Program, please review the following admission requirements and recommendations.
- You must have the ability to communicate safely, accurately, and effectively in both written and spoken English. If English is your second language, you are encouraged to enroll in Speech 3, 10, 121 and/or 125 and Medical Assisting 115 to enhance your success.
- We do not keep transcripts or applications on file. We shred prior applications, transcripts, and California Certified Nursing Assistant license after the completion of the selection process. Therefore, if you are reapplying, you must resubmit transcripts, applications, and a California Certified Nursing Assistant license each application period.
- Prerequisites must be complete before you can enroll in LVN courses. However, “In Progress” work for the prerequisites may be considered during the selection process. Final selection is pending evidence of satisfactory completion of any “in progress” prerequisites. View Prerequisites
- We highly recommend that basic science courses (human nutrition, human physiology, human anatomy, and lifespan psychology) are completed within the past five years with a grade of “C” or higher.
- All courses offered in the Vocational Nursing Program may be challenged for credit. Contact the department for information.
- Submission of an application does not guarantee acceptance.
- If you are requesting a transfer from another nursing program or advanced placement, you will need to obtain a petition from Student and Learning Services in L-112.
How to Apply
If you are not currently enrolled at PCC, you need to apply for admission to the college in addition to applying to the Vocational Nursing Program. Apply now to PCC .
To apply to the Vocational Nursing Program you need to submit an online application packet that includes:
Note: All selected applicants should request two (2) official transcripts from each college they have attended. One set of transcripts must be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records. Keep one set of transcripts for your personal records. All applicants are required to upload a set of official transcripts from each college (including Advanced Placement transcript scores) attended with your online application.
Follow these basic directions for scanning documents to your online application:
1. Scan the official transcripts using a device such as a printer or scanner
2. Follow the scanner manufacturer's directions to scan each document to your computer or USB drive
3. Select the PDF file format option before scanning. Only PDF files of your transcripts and other supporting documents will be accepted. Formats such as JPEG, GIF, BMP, TIF, screenshot, word documents, etc. will not be accepted for the application process.
4. Save your PDF document to a folder in a location on your computer or removable drive that you can easily access (Desktop or Documents folder is suggested)
NOTE: Students who do not have access to a personal scanner may choose to use a commercial copying center to have their required documents scanned and made into PDFs that then may be uploaded as part of your application.
Follow these basic directions for uploading documents to your online application:
1. When prompted on the application to upload your documents marked "Drop Files here or Select Files" click on this button
Find the PDF files you want to upload from your computer or flash drive
2. Select the file by double clicking on it (tap twice)
3. Your file will be uploaded.
How to Provide Your Transcripts to PCC's Admissions and Records Office
It is your responsibility to request the transcripts from the schools you have attended and ask that they be sent directly to the PCC Admissions & Records office. All transcripts from other schools must be official.
You can have transcripts sent in one of the following ways:
1. By Mail
Ask your school to mail an official transcript to us at:
Pasadena City College
Admissions & Records Office L-113
1570 E. Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena CA 91106-2003
2. Electronically (PDF Only)
An official transcript can be emailed in the following ways:
1. Emailed from the third party vendor, Credentials Inc., Parchment, National Student Clearinghouse
2. Emailed from a school or 3rd party vendor not listed above to email@example.com
3. Note that an emailed transcript from you, the student, will not be accepted
Incomplete applications will not be considered in the selection process. Official
sealed unopened transcripts must also be sent to the Pasadena City College Admissions
and Records Office by the end of the Licensed Vocational Nursing application period.
The following courses must be passed with a "C" grade or better. You may apply if a prerequisite is pending. However, applicants completing all prerequisites prior to applying for admission will have priority.
The following are required to apply for the LVN program:
- Completion of a California Department of Public Health Approved Nursing Assistant Program, or equivalent. This can be done by submitting an academic transcript showing completion of a California Department of Public Health approved Nursing Assistant course, or an issued certificate of completion showing the number of hours of training hours completed.
- Proof of a valid unrestricted State of California Certified Nursing Assistant License.
- Nutrition 011 - Human Nutrition
- Psychology 024 - Lifespan (birth to death)
- Anatomy 025 - Human Anatomy
- Physiology 001 - Human Physiology
We use the following criteria to determine acceptance amongst eligible applicants:
If the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of spaces available, selections will be made by random selection. Alternates will be chosen by random selection and alternate status does not guarantee admission. The Health Sciences Division will inform applicants of the status of their application by email only. Please make sure your email is current when you apply to the program. We do not maintain a waiting list from year to year. You need to re-apply for possible acceptance each year. The program begins classes in the fall semester.
We will notify applicants to the Vocational Nursing Program by email approximately 12 weeks after the close of the application period.
Upon acceptance to the program, you will be required to:
If you are a student with foreign transcripts, you must have your transcripts evaluated by one of the following three companies before applying:
International Research Foundation (IERF)
(310)-258-9451 | www.ierf.org
Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute (ACEI)
(310)-275-3530 | www.aceil.com
American Education Research Center (AERC)
(626)-339-4404 | www.aerc-eval.com