Application Periods & Deadlines
March 1 - April 1. We only accept applications filled out and submitted online during
the application period. All materials must be received by April 1.
To All Applicants:
Pasadena City College is responding to the coronavirus outbreak. This is a very fluid
situation, and the college is adapting its response as events change.
All complete applications will be processed. There will be a delay in notifying students
of their status due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Thank you for your patience and understanding in this unusual situation we are all
currently facing. Watch this page for the latest updates.
We also encourage you to visit the following website for additional information https://pasadena.edu/about/president/coronavirus-updates/index.php
General Admission Information
Before applying to the Licensed Vocational Nursing Program, please review the following
admission requirements and recommendations.
- You must have the ability to communicate safely, accurately, and effectively in both
written and spoken English. If English is your second language, you are encouraged
to enroll in Speech 3, 10, 121 and/or 125 and Medical Assisting 115 to enhance your
- We do not keep transcripts or applications on file. We shred prior applications,
transcripts, and California Certified Nursing Assistant license after the completion
of the selection process. Therefore, if you are reapplying, you must resubmit transcripts,
applications, and a California Certified Nursing Assistant license each application
- Prerequisites must be complete before you can enroll in LVN courses. However, “In
Progress” work for the prerequisites may be considered during the selection process.
Final selection is pending evidence of satisfactory completion of any “in progress”
prerequisites. View Prerequisites
- We highly recommend that basic science courses (human nutrition, human physiology,
human anatomy, and lifespan psychology) are completed within the past five years with
a grade of “C” or higher.
- All courses offered in the Vocational Nursing Program may be challenged for credit.
Contact the department for information.
- Submission of an application does not guarantee acceptance.
- If you are requesting a transfer from another nursing program or advanced placement,
you will need to obtain a petition from Student and Learning Services in L-112.
How to Apply
1 Apply for admission to PCC
If you are not currently enrolled at PCC, you need to apply for admission to the college
in addition to applying to the Vocational Nursing Program. Apply now to PCC .
2 Complete Your Application Packet
To apply to the Vocational Nursing Program you need to submit an online application
packet that includes:
- A completed Vocational Nursing program application
Applications are only available online during the filing periods (Mar 1 - Apr 1).
- One official U.S. high school transcript or GED certificate or Equivalency Report
from one of the college’s acceptable companies. The transcript must be saved as a
PDF file and uploaded with your application. Label the PDF file as "High School transcripts".
A college degree will not replace the high school transcript requirement.
- One official transcript of ALL U.S. colleges and universities attended, including
Pasadena City College*. The transcript must be saved as a PDF file and uploaded with
your application. Create one PDF file for each college you have attended. Label each
college PDF file with the name of the college.*If you have foreign transcripts, please read our information on how to have your
- Completion of a California Department of Public Health approved nursing assistant
program or equivalent. This can be done by submitting an academic transcript showing
completion of a California Department of Public Health approved Nursing Assistant
course, or an issued certificate of completion showing the number of hours of training
hours completed. Documentation must be saved and uploaded as a PDF file with your
application. Label the PDF as "Completion of CNA".
- Proof of a valid unrestricted State of California Nurse Assistant License. You may
print out your C.N.A. verification from the California Department of Public Health
Licensing and Certification Verification website. The C.N.A. license must be saved
and uploaded as a PDF file with your applicaiton. Label the PDF as "C.N.A. License".
Note: All applicants should request two (2) official transcripts from each college they
have attended. One set of transcripts must be submitted to the Office of Admissions
and Records. Keep one set of transcripts for your personal records. All applicants
are required to upload a set of official transcripts from each college (including
Advanced Placement transcript scores) attended with your online application.
Follow these basic directions for scanning documents to your online application:
1. Scan the official transcripts using a device such as a printer or scanner
2. Follow the scanner manufacturer's directions to scan each document to your computer
or USB drive
3. Select the PDF file format option before scanning. Only PDF files of your transcripts
and other supporting documents will be accepted. Formats such as JPEG, GIF, BMP, TIF,
screenshot, word documents, etc. will not be accepted for the application process.
4. Save your PDF document to a folder in a location on your computer or removable
drive that you can easily access (Desktop or Documents folder is suggested)
NOTE: Students who do not have access to a personal scanner may choose to use a commercial
copying center to have their required documents scanned and made into PDFs that then
may be uploaded as part of your application.
Follow these basic directions for uploading documents to your online application:
1. When prompted on the application to upload your documents marked "Drop Files here
or Select Files" click on this button
Find the PDF files you want to upload from your computer or flash drive
2. Select the file by double clicking on it (tap twice)
3. Your file will be uploaded.
Expired certificates are not accepted
Incomplete applications will not be considered in the selection process. Official
sealed unopened transcripts must also be sent to the Pasadena City College Admissions
and Records Office by the end of the Licensed Vocational Nursing application period.
We use the following criteria to determine acceptance amongst eligible applicants:
- New applicants to the VN program who have completed all requirements and prerequisites
with a grade of “C” or higher have priority admission.
- Students who withdrew from the VN program a year ago and are eligible for readmission.
- Transfer students.
If the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of positions available, selections
will be prioritized according to prerequisite grade point average. Additional qualified
applicants will be placed on an alternate list.
We will notify applicants to the Vocational Nursing Program by email approximately
12 weeks after the close of the application period.
Upon acceptance to the program, you will be required to:
- Complete a Health Clearance (forms will be provided)
- Complete a criminal background check in order to be able to attend clinical experiences.
Details regarding these clearances will be provided with the acceptance packet upon
If you have questions or concerns about the background check, we encourage you to
make an appointment to discuss these concerns with the nursing program director. You
can also view some of the issues on the BVNPT website at www.bvnpt.ca.gov.
If you are a student with foreign transcripts, you must have your transcripts evaluated
by one of the following three companies before applying:
International Research Foundation (IERF)
(310)-258-9451 | www.ierf.org
Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute (ACEI)
(310)-275-3530 | www.aceil.com
American Education Research Center (AERC)
(626)-339-4404 | www.aerc-eval.com