The Prerequisite Office
The Prerequisite Office is located across from the Counseling Center in L-103D. We can help answer your questions about prerequisites and challenges as well as provide you with basic academic advisement, helping you determine whether or not you need to make an appointment with a counselor.
What Are Prerequisites?
Some courses at Pasadena City College have prerequisites, which is a specific level of preparation that you must have before you can take the course. In order to register for a class with prerequisites, you will need to satisfy its prerequisites before your registration date.
You can satisfy prerequisites by successfully completing a course or placing into the course (determined by your Math and English placement).
If you satisfy the prerequisite through a course at PCC or your current Math/English placement, the prerequisite will automatically be cleared and you will be allowed to enroll in the class. But, if you satisfied it elsewhere, then you will need to submit a request for a prerequisite clearance, using the directions below.
Prerequisite Clearances are not automatic for:
- Courses that you completed at another institution.
- Placement into English/Math based on Early Assessment Program (EAP) exam results.
- Placement into English/Math based on high school coursework not previously provided.
Use the information below to get clearance for these prerequisites.
If you are using credits from another college to satisfy the prerequisites for a course, you will need to have proof of eligibility for the course and submit a request for prerequisite clearance with each specific class (possibly each term).
Proof of Eligibility
We will grant approval for enrollment to the course if you provide official or unofficial transcripts from previous colleges with the following:
- College/university name
- Your name
- Passing course grade (without manipulation on the transcript )
In Person Requests (Preferred)
To clear your prerequisites in person, bring your official or unofficial transcripts to the Prerequisite Office in L-103D. Sign-in at a computer and one of our advisers will meet with you.
If you cannot meet in person, you may submit a request online by following the steps below.
1. Complete the Prerequisite Clearance Request form online and upload documents as needed with your request.
2. Check your PCC email for our reply email as confirmation that we received your request (sent immediately).
3. Your request will be reviewed within 2 business days (M-F, excluding holidays). During peak times (registration times) it may take longer than 2 days, so we suggest students to come in person if possible.
If you are currently satisfying the prerequisite at PCC, but need to register for classes before your final grades are available, please follow the steps below.
- Log in to LancerPoint and go to the "Classes & Academic" tab.
- Click on "View/Print My class Schedule".
- Select the current term.
- Click on "Return to Menu".
- Click on "Registration History" and look-up your midterm grade.
- If the midterm grade is passing or there is no midterm grade, you will automatically be able to register for the next course in the sequence.
- If the midterm grade is not passing, you will need a letter from your instructor (on PCC letterhead) indicating that you are now passing the course. Bring the letter to the Prerequisite Office and one of our advisers will clear you to enroll in the next course in the sequence OR submit your letter through our online Prerequisite Clearance Request form.
If you are currently taking a class at another institution to satisfy a prerequisite for a PCC course, but will need to register for classes before the final grade is available, please follow the steps below.
- Get a copy of your transcript to verify your enrollment in the class.
- Get a signed letter from your instructor, on college letterhead with your instructor's contact information (phone # & email), indicating that you are passing the class and the date that the class ends.
- Bring your transcript and letter to the Prerequisite Office and an adviser will clear you to enroll in the next sequence course OR submit your transcript and letter through our online Prerequisite Clearance Request form. The clearance will last for only one term.
If you took the Early Assessment Program (EAP) exam and received “College Ready Status” in English and/or Math, you do not need to take an assessment. Instead you need to request placement through the online prerequisite clearance form.
Complete the Prerequisite Clearance Request form online and upload documents as needed with your request.
Check your PCC email for our reply email as confirmation that we received your request (sent immediately).
- Your request will be reviewed within 2 business days (M-F, excluding holidays). During peak times (registration times) it may take longer than 2 days, so we suggest students to come in person if possible.
If you would like a higher placement in Math, you may also request for placement based on your high school grades.
Placement into English/Math is required to improve your registration date.
You may not receive English and Math placement if you:
- Attended high school over 10 years ago.
- Are an international student or non-native English speaker.
- Did not complete at minimum 11th grade of high school.
- Were home schooled.
Instead, you must take an Assessment Exam for placement into Math and English.
For all other students, your placement is automatically determined by your High School courses and GPA.
- You can check your placement in LancerPoint. If you see your placement, no action is needed.
- If you do not see your placement in LancerPoint, use your high school transcript to request for placement through our online prerequisite clearance form.
Once your Placement is in LancerPoint, prepare for registration by reading more about what your placement means.
If you have not completed the prerequisite requirement, but feel that you qualify for a class then you need to request a Prerequisite Challenge. The Challenge process depends on the division of the course you wish to enroll in.
Option 1: Online
Option 1 is only allowed for courses in the following Divisions:
- Business, Engineering & Technology
- Math and Computer Science
- Natural Science
- Social Sciences
To challenge a prerequisite, submit your request online through the Online Prerequisite Clearance Form. A challenge will require documentation to support your request. Once submitted an advisor will review and respond with results within 5 business days. If they are unable to approve the request, they will forward it to the Division Dean whom will provide the final decision.
Option 2: With Your Division Office
If the course does not belong to one of the Divisions listed in Option 1, you will need to request a Prerequisite Challenge through the Division of the course you wish to enroll in. A challenge will require documentation to support your request. If approved, the Division will enter the prerequisite clearance so that you can register (only valid for one term).
For more information or questions, please connect with the Division of the course you wish to enroll.
- One term - if the class does not have a Math, English, Chemistry, or Language requirement (example: Psychology 2 has a Psychology 1 prerequisite requirement). If you do not enroll in the class in the term requested, you must request for the prerequisite clearance again the following term
- Three Years - if the class has a Math, English, Chemistry, or Language requirement (example: Phys 1A has a Math 5A prerequisite requirement)
- Prerequisite clearances enables students to enroll in requested class. A prerequisite clearance is not an equivalency approval to meet major or general education requirements. For equivalency information, please speak to a counselor in Counseling.