Get all your questions about graduation answered!

At PCC you have the choice to earn an Associate in Arts Degree, an Associate in Science Degree or an Associate Degree for Transfer. Each degree has various major options.

View All Degree Majors

For the AA Degree, you may follow the IGETCCSU or Traditional AA GE requirements.

For the AA-T and AS-T, you may follow the IGETC or CSU GE Requirements GE requirements.

For the traditional AS Degree, you need to use the traditional AS GE requirements.

The traditional AA and AS GE requirements have a competency requirement called Diversity. The Diversity requirement may double count with other GE areas (A-E) on the Traditional AA and AS GE requirement sheets.

  • Associate degrees can stand alone or be a stepping stone to a bachelor degree.
  • Associate degree holders earn up to 25% more each year than someone who is doing the same job without a degree.
  • More employers are requiring job candidates to have a degree, so getting an associate degree will open more doors.
  • A different associate degree from your bachelor degree will diversify your resume (i.e. AA in Business and BA in Economics). 
  • In case it may take you longer to complete your bachelor degree than planned, you will have an associate degree to fall back on.
  • Completing an associate degree from PCC demonstrates that you can accomplish your goals at each stage in your education.
  • By meeting your transfer requirements, you may already qualify for a degree without taking additional classes.
UCs, CSUs, and most universities in California do not require an associate degree for admission. Only CSUs give admission and graduation incentives if you have an AA-T or AS-T degree in your admitted major.  However, some out-of-state or private institutions may require an associate degree, please check with your interested institutions.
Receiving an associate degree has NO impact on your Financial Aid or Fee Waiver. If you are transferring, an associate degree does not affect your financial aid at the university.

If you started at PCC Fall 2009 and after OR who have elected to receive post Fall 2009 degrees, you may have multiple AA degrees and one AS degree.

If you started at PCC prior to Fall 2009 and have maintained continuous enrollment, you may have one AA degree and multiple AS degrees.

You can only have rights to pre-Fall 2009 or post-Fall 2009 rights, not both. 

Send your official transcript(s) to Admission (L-113). After you have completed 12 units of coursework at PCC, ask a counselor to submit a transcript evaluation request towards one of our general education patterns for the Associate degree (IGETC GE/CSU GE/Traditional AA or AS GE). 

You may also make a request for a transcript evaluation through our online counseling service.

You may be able to use your credits from another country.  However, you are required to have your foreign transcripts (Academic Records) evaluated by one of the three evaluation agencies approved by PCC. Once we receive the official evaluation results and you have completed 12 units at PCC, PCC evaluators will complete a second evaluation for PCC degree credits. 

If you are planning to transfer to a four-year university, please see a counselor before applying for a foreign transcript evaluation. Most universities have their own evaluators who evaluate foreign transcripts. Transcript evaluation at PCC is not necessary if you are transferring to a university.

After you submit a request, it will be given to a counselor to complete the degree check.  Please allow 10 business days to process (may be longer during peak season).  Once the degree check is completed, the results will be emailed to your LancerMail.  If you do not have access to your LancerMail, you will be asked to come to Counseling to pickup your results with your photo ID.  

If you have not heard from us after 10 business days, please email

Please find out what to expect after you apply for your degree by going to our What to Expect After Applying website.

You will receive a letter by mail from the Evaluator stating your missing requirements.  Once you enroll in the course again, you will need to petition for your degree again.

You are not required to attend the ceremony; however we highly encourage you to attend and invite your family and friends to celebrate your achievements at PCC.

The degree petition/application and diploma is free.

See All Counseling FAQ