Admission to the Dental Hygiene Program
The application filing period is from February 1 - April 1 for fall semester enrollment.
All materials must be received in the Division office on the Main Campus (W-204) by April 1st at 3 pm. If the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, then the deadline is the following business day.
General Admission Information
- To be a candidate for the Dental Hygiene Program, you must have the ability to communicate safely, accurately, and effectively in both written and spoken English. To enhance success, students who have English as a second language are encouraged to enroll in Speech 3, 121 and/or 125, and Medical Assisting 115.
- All prerequisite courses must be completed prior to applying. Work in progress is
Some prerequisite courses including upper-division courses completed at another institution may require a "Pre-requisite Equivalency Petition". If you have taken courses and you are unsure if they are transferable or equivalent to prerequisite requirements it is your responsibility to determine course equivalency prior to applying to the program.
- An application will be voided if it is late or incomplete, faxed, left under the door after hours to the Division office, the Program Director’s office or the Dental Hygiene Clinic office.
- The PCC Dental Hygiene Program does not accept transfer students from other Dental Hygiene Programs.
- Jobs for Veterans Act
Pursuant to the Jobs for Veterans Act (JVA) eligible U.S. veterans and eligible spouses, discharged under conditions other than dishonorable and who have met the requirements for the program will be accorded priority admission to the dental hygiene program.
As an applicant to the Dental Hygiene program, you will be contacted by email and a phone call and informed of acceptance status as well as information regarding the next steps in the process. Placement on the alternate list does not guarantee acceptance for the following year. All alternates who are not accepted into the program must reapply.
Enrollment is determined by the applicant pool and is competitive. Additionally, acceptance into the program may also be based on the outcome of a criminal background check. A grade of C or better is required in all prerequisite courses. ALL applicants must have an overall GPA of 3.0 or better in the prerequisite courses in order to be considered for acceptance into the dental hygiene program.
Additional weight is given to candidates with Dental related education or license, dental related work experience, and documented observation hours of a Licensed Registered Dental Hygienist.
How to Apply
To apply to the Dental Hygiene program you need to submit a complete application packet which includes:
- A completed Dental Hygiene Program Application (availble during the filing period)
- One official transcript of ALL U.S. colleges and universities attended, including
Pasadena City College*
*If you have foreign transcripts, please read our information on how to have your transcripts evaluated.
2 Submit Your Application Packet
Submit your completed application packet, you must mail or deliver it in person to the Health Sciences office on the main PCC campus. No copies or faxed applications will be accepted.
Pasadena City College
Dental Hygiene Program
Health Sciences Division W-204
1570 East Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91106
The Health Sciences Division will inform you of the status of your application by email upon submission of all required documentation.
Upon acceptance to the Dental Hygiene program, you are required to:
If you are a student with foreign transcripts, you must have your transcripts evaluated by one of the following three companies before applying:
International Research Foundation (IERF)
(310)-258-9451 | www.ierf.org
Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute (ACEI)
(310)-275-3530 | www.aceil.com
American Education Research Center (AERC)
(626)-339-4404 | www.aerc-eval.com