Library Research Sessions
Let a PCC librarian guide your students through the research process! Our research sessions provide customized instruction tailored to your assignment and your students' needs.
While PCC campuses are closed, we're offering synchronous sessions via Zoom upon instructor request. Sessions are recorded for students unable to attend "live."
To get started, please email Kathryn McGuire at email@example.com or fill out the form below.
“Made it fun and easy to learn how to use databases.”
“My students really valued the experience. Several mentioned it in their informal course evaluation at the end of the semester!”
85% of students agree “I will be more successful as a result of this library workshop.”
“The librarian was aware of my assignment, provided the class with the info they needed, and even had time to give personalized instruction to instruction to individual students.”
“I will be able to use what I learned today for all aspects of my education.”
“Nicely focused on the primary issues students have - finding and interpreting peer-reviewed literature.”
“The visit motivated my students to get busy and be invested.”
What We Do
Research sessions help students become information literate and provide customized, course-specific instruction. Here are a few of the concepts we routinely cover:
- Getting help from a librarian
- Choosing and refining a topic
- Identifying useful keywords / search terms
- Finding books and ebooks in the library catalog
- Finding articles in subscription databases, including scholarly journals
- Evaluating the credibility of sources
- Citing sources properly
Tips for Great Research Sessions
- Submit your research session request at least two weeks in advance
- Schedule the session when your students are actively working on a research project or paper
- Share a copy of the assignment and your expectations for the session with the librarian beforehand
- Attend the session along with your class and participate as appropriate
We look forward to working with you and your students.