Federal Direct Parent Loans (PLUS)
Pasadena City College (PCC) participates in the William D. Ford, Federal Direct Parent Loan (PLUS) program. The PLUS loan is a competitively low-interest loan for parents to help pay for the cost of your student's education. The Federal PLUS lender is the U.S. Department of Education. Eligibility for the Federal Direct PLUS loan is a last resort. PCC loan certification will include potential eligibility for grants (including the Board of Governor's fee waiver) and subsidized and unsubsidized student loans.
As a parent borrower you are eligible to borrow up to the student's cost of attendance minus other estimated financial assistance.
- Undergraduate Living Away: $21,274
- Financial Aid Received (Student Loan): $6,500
- Difference between Cost - Eligible Financial Aid: $14,774
- Parent Direct PLUS Origination Fee ($14,774 @ 43292%): $639
Maximum Direct PLUS Eligibility $14,135
Note: 2018 Direct PLUS Loan Interest Rate: Fixed at 6.84%. The interest rate is variable (adjusted annually on July 1st).
You must meet all the following requirements to be eligible for the Federal Direct Parent Loans.
- You are the student's biological or adoptive parent (or, in some cases, the step-parent).
- Your student is determined to be dependent and is enrolled at least half-time at PCC.
- You have a good credit standing as determined by the U.S. Department of Education loan servicing agency; must not be in default on any federal education loans or owe an overpayment on a federal education grant.
- You and the student must be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens;
- Your student must have a 2.0 grade point average (cumulative or term at PCC or another higher education transfer institution); demonstrate an ability to benefit from their education (complete units and progress at an acceptable rate) and meet all other federal or state financial aid eligibility requirements.
At PCC, the Federal Direct PLUS loan funds will be made payable and be disbursed to the student listed on your application.
A written PLUS loan cancellation request must be signed and submitted to:
Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
Pasadena City College
1570 E. Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91106.
A written request to cancel the loan is always honored and should be submitted to PCC before the check is mailed. The written request must include the name of your student and his/her PCC Lancer ID number and your name with your last four-digits of your social security number.
Repayment of your Federal Direct PLUS Loan begins 60 days after the full amount borrowed in a school year has been disbursed. In most cases, a parent will start loan repayment while the student is still in school. For information about the Federal Direct Plus loan repayment options, visit the Direct Loan website at or call the Direct Loan Servicing Center at (800) 848-0979 (TTY 1-800-557-7395).
Ready to apply? Follow the steps below to process your loan.
- Student Submits the FAFSA application
You will need to complete the FAFSA for the current school year at www.fafsa.gov. The PCC school code is: 001261
- Submit Additional Required Documents.
Once PCC receives the FAFSA, additional documents may be required and must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office before the loan is certified. You must also request a credit check at StudentLoans.gov.
- Complete and submit the PCC Federal Direct PLUS Loan Application.
Submit your application to the PCC Financial Aid office. We require original signatures. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid to pick up an application.
- Complete an Electronic Master Promissory Note (MPN)
Go to Student Loans to complete this.