You can demonstrate your English Proficiency by fulfilling just one of the following criteria:

  • Attendance at a high school where English is the language of instruction. Submit a letter from the head master or registrar verifying that attendance of high school/college/university in a foreign country for a minimum of 3 years with English as the language of instruction for ALL academic courses and submit transcripts showing attendance, with grades of C or better (or the equivalent) in all classes.

  • U.S. Education: Send official transcripts from all U.S. schools (high school/college/university) attended to the International Student Center showing completion of one academic year of English (no ESL/ELD classes) with a grade of C or better in each English class. This only reflects courses taken in the U.S.; does not include Intensive English Programs/ESL. 
  • TOEFL or TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition: Minimum score 450 paper based test, 45 internet based test. Send an official score report to Pasadena City College, ETS Code: 4604. E-delivery preferred.
  • TOEFL ITP (China Only): Minimum score of 460. Send an official score report to Pasadena City College. E-delivery preferred. 
  • IELTS Academic or IELTS Indicator: Minimum score of 5.0. Send an official score report to Pasadena City College. E-delivery preferred.

  • iTEP: Minimum score of 3. Send an official score report. 

  • STEP-Eiken: Minimum 2nd Grade. Send an official report. 

  • Duolingo English Test: Minimum score of 75 - first attempt only. Send an official score report to Pasadena City College. E-delivery preferred.

    Score Reports must be less than two years old.

    are accepted from U.S. high schools, colleges and universities. Request transcripts to be emailed to the International Student Center at  

You can also demonstrate your English proficiency by submitting a certificate of completion from one of the following English language schools:

Exemptions to the English Proficiency Requirement:

Students who have graduated with a diploma/degree from secondary or postsecondary school (college/university) from the following countries are exempt from providing proof of English proficiency:

  • Anguilla
  • Guyana    
  • St. Kitts and Nevis
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Ireland
  • St. Lucia
  • Australia
  • Jamaica
  • St. Vincent and the Grenedines 
  • Bahamas
  • Kenya
  • Sierra Leone
  • Barbados
  • Kiribati
  • Solomon Islands
  • Belize
  • Liberia
  • South Africa
  • Botswana
  • Malta
  • Tanzania
  • Canada (Except Quebec) 
  • Marshall Islands 
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Fiji
  • Mauritius
  • Uganda
  • Gambia
  • Micronesia
  • United Kingdom
  • Ghana
  • New Zealand
  • Zambia
  • Grenada
  • Nigeria
  • Zimbabwe

Citizenship in these countries alone will not exempt you from the English proficiency requirement. Exemption is based on whether you completed your schooling in that country or not.

If your country has more than one official language listed (other than English), PCC requires that you show proof of English proficiency.

The exemption for showing proof of English does not imply exemption from completing the English/ESL Guided Self-Placement required for all new PCC international students.