English Proficiency Requirements
You can demonstrate your English Proficiency by fulfilling just one of the following criteria:
- Attendance at a high school where English is the language of instruction. Submit a letter from the head master or registrar verifying that attendance of high
school/college/university in a foreign country for a minimum of 3 years with English
as the language of instruction for ALL academic courses and submit transcripts showing attendance, with grades of C or better (or the equivalent) in all classes.
- U.S. Education: Send official transcripts from all U.S. schools (high school/college/university) attended to the International Student Center showing completion of one academic year of English (no ESL/ELD classes) with a grade of C or better in each English class. This only reflects courses taken in the U.S.; does not include Intensive English Programs/ESL.
- TOEFL: Minimum score 450 paper based test, 45 internet based test. Send an official score report to Pasadena City College, ETS
Code: 4604. E-delivery preferred.
Please Note: We cannot accept TOEFL "Institutional Testing Program" (ITP) scores.
- IELTS Academic: Minimum score of 5.0. Send an official score report to Pasadena City College. E-delivery preferred.
- iTEP: Minimum score of 3. Send an official score report.
- STEP-Eiken: Minimum 2nd Grade. Send an official report.
- Duolingo English Test: Minimum score of 75 - first attempt only. Send an official score report to Pasadena City College. E-delivery preferred.
Score Reports must be less than two years old.
E-transcripts are accepted from U.S. high schools, colleges and universities. Request transcripts to be emailed to the International Student Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also demonstrate your English proficiency by submitting a certificate of completion from one of the following English language schools:
- American English College: ESL Level 6
- Cal Poly English Language Institute: Level 5
- ELS Language Centers: Level 109
- Kaplan: Higher Intermediate - Level 4
- Language Systems International: Level 6
- POLY Languages Institute: Level 6
- Rosemead College of English: Level 5
- UCLA Extension American Language Center: Level 105
- USC International Academy: Level 5
- Proof of completion of the highest level of ESL classes in a language school in the U.S.: Submit a copy of the certificate from the current language school to verify completion of the highest level of ESL classes.