It is possible that previous coursework could be substituted for some of the requirements of the SLPA program and the GE requirements for the AS degree, following a review process.  However, we will not accept any substitutes for the "SLPA-designated" courses: SLPA 018, SLPA 107, SLPA 115, SLPA 119, SLPA 123A, SLPA 123B, and SLPA 126/126S.The Counseling department at PCC reviews transcripts and handles education plans for PCC students. 

Visit the PCC Counseling services for more information  

Tuition for the program will cost approximately $3,000. This cost excludes campus fees, parking, and other required textbooks and course materials.

There are also fees for pre-clinical checks, including background checks, health, and safety/security procedures, of approximately $150.00. Clinical sites may impose additional requirements with student-responsible fees.

The estimated total cost (tuition and other costs) is $5,500. You will also be required to dedicate 2 full days when taking the fieldwork course SLPA 126 and will need to provide your own transportation.

If you have financial aid needs, you can apply for Financial Aid. 

This program prepares students for employment as an SLPA in the state of California. Students who successfully complete the PCC SLPA program are eligible to apply to the Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology & Hearing Aid Dispenser’s Licensing Board of California for an SLPA license. 

This program culminates in an Associate in Science degree in Speech-Language Pathology Assistant. This is not a transfer degree nor is it an Associate's degree in Communication Disorders.  

The PCC SLPA program focuses on training paraprofessionals. Other Bachelor's and Master's degree programs train students at the professional Speech-Language Pathologist level, where the minimum requirement is a Master’s degree.

There are very few courses in this program that transfer to a Bachelor's degree program in Communication Disorders at 4-year universities. 

Additionally, this program does not provide the "leveling" coursework for people interested in applying to a Master's program in Speech-Language Pathology without previous completion of a Bachelor's degree in Communication Disorders.  If you’re interested in learning about university training programs in California, visit the California Speech-Language-Hearing Association website.

For more information on the field of speech pathology and audiology, visit the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

To learn more about the Department of Consumer Affairs and the Speech-Language Pathology Assistant and Hearing Aid Dispenser’s Board, visit California's Department of Consumer Affairs.

The fieldwork course (SLPA 126) at PCC is not offered as a stand-alone course. That course is reserved for students who have advanced through the entire PCC SLPA program.

If you have a Bachelor's degree in the field, you are encouraged to seek out other SLPA Programs or 4-year universities with SLPA coursework.

This is not an online program.

Many of the courses are offered as hybrid, which have a combination of online work paired with required weekly on-campus classes. Most of the courses are offered in the late afternoons/early evenings.

The final fieldwork course (SLPA 126) requires students to make themselves available two full days per week, Mon-Fri, for the duration of the semester.