The Associate in Arts in Spanish for Transfer Degree (AA-T in Spanish) develops competence in the ability to understand, speak, read and write Spanish, and to provide an understanding and appreciation of the Spanish language and the cultures of the Spanish-speaking world. The AA-T in Spanish prepares students to continue their education at a California State University (CSU) campus leading to a baccalaureate degree in Spanish.
PLEASE NOTE: The courses that universities and colleges require for transfer vary. When selecting courses for transfer purposes, students should consult with Counseling Services to determine the particular transfer requirements of specific institutions.
The Associate in Arts Degree in Spanish for Transfer degree will be awarded upon completion of coursework totaling 60 California State University (CSU) transferable units including the above major requirements and the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or California State University General Education (CSUGE) requirements with a minimum grade point average of 2.0. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of “C” or better. (Students completing this degree are not required to fulfill additional PCC graduation requirements).
This degree is intended for students transferring to a California State University (CSU) campus. It is not a requirement for transfer, but may give students an admission advantage at some CSU campuses. Not all CSU campuses accept this degree as fulfillment of lower division major requirements. Students should meet with a counselor to determine if this degree is a good option for them. Information on which CSU campuses accept this degree can be found at http://www.sb1440.org
Associate in Arts in Spanish for Transfer Degree
REQUIRED CORE (20 UNITS)
- SPAN 001 – Elementary Spanish (5)
- SPAN 002 – Elementary Spanish (5)
- SPAN 003 – Intermediate Spanish (5)
- SPAN 004 – Intermediate Spanish (5)
LIST A: SELECT ONE (3-4 UNITS)
- SPAN 005 – Introduction to Spanish Literature (3)
- SPAN 006A - Introduction to Spanish-American Literature (3)
- SPAN 006B - Introduction to Spanish-American Literature (3)
- SPAN 008A – Introduction to Spanish Conversation (2)
- SPAN 008B – Introduction to Spanish Conversation (2)
- SPAN 009A – Spanish Conversation (2)
- SPAN 009B – Spanish Conversation (2)
- SPAN 012 – Spanish Literature in Translation (3)
- SPAN 025 – Spanish Composition (3)
- SPAN 042A – Civilization of Spain and Portugal (3)
- SPAN 042B - Civilization of Spain and Portugal (3)
- SPAN 044A - Civilization of Latin America (3)
- SPAN 044B - Civilization of Latin America (3)
- SPAN 050 – Spanish and Latin American Cinema (3)
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate proficiency in language skills in Spanish.
- Demonstrate cultural knowledge of Latin America and Spain.
- Required Subtotal: 19-23
- CSU General Education or IGETC Pattern: 39-37
- Transferable Electives (as needed to reach 60 transferable units)
- DEGREE TOTAL: 60