This curriculum is appropriate for students seeking transfer to programs that focus on the practice of fine art, or who wish to pursue professional practice as a visual artist. (Suitable transfer programs at four-year colleges, universities, or art institutes include the traditional studio arts—drawing, painting, sculpture, printmaking and ceramics; programs in photography and digital media that have a fine arts emphasis; and studio art programs that are not media-specific, with names such as “new genres.”)
Students completing the certificate program will develop a portfolio of original artwork and prepare their work for exhibition.
Students pursuing a Bachelor's degree should research the specific requirements of desired transfer institutions and meet with a counselor, as completion of this certificate program is not a guarantee of acceptance. Students are advised to meet with a full-time visual arts faculty member for suggestions of potential transfer institutions and additional curriculum specific to their needs. (Students will be advised to complete the CSU-GE-Breadth or IGETC pattern.)
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of tools and materials in at least one studio arts discipline.
- Analyze the formal properties and social content of works of art, verbally and in writing.
- Create a portfolio of original art work.
This program is designed to be completed in months.
This program will cost if completed within normal time. There may be additional costs for living expenses. These costs were accurate at the time of posting, but may have changed.
Of the students who completed this program within normal time, the typical graduate leaves with of debt.
For more information about graduation rates, loan repayment rates, and post-enrollment earnings about this institution and other postsecondary institutions please click here: www.collegescorecard.ed.gov.
This program has not passed standards established by the U.S. Department of Education. The Department based these standards on the amounts students borrow for enrollment in this program and their reported earnings. If in the future the program does not pass the standards, students who are then enrolled may not be able to use federal student grants or loans to pay for the program, and may have to find other ways, such as private loans, to pay for the program.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required Units: 18
Required Core (6 Units)
- ART 011A - Foundation Drawing (3)
- ART 004D* - History of Modern Art (3)
or ART 106 - Art Since 1945 (3)
* ART 004D is CSU Transferrable
Required Capstone Course (3 Units)
Select one course from the following list
- ART 075 - Exhibition and Presentation of Visual Art (3)
ART 145 - Portfolio Development and Critique (3)
Required Electives (9 Units)
Select three courses from the following. Include one B-level or second-level course
- ART 011B - Intermediate Drawing (3)
- ART 011C - Portfolio Development of Drawing (3)
- ART 012A - Beginning Life Drawing (3)
- ART 012B - Life Drawing (3)
- ART 020A - Beginning Painting (3)
- ART 020B - Painting (3)
- ART 020C - Painting (3)
- ART 023A - Printmaking-Intaglio and Relief (3)
- ART 023B - Printmaking-Lithography (3)
- ART 023C - Printmaking-Monotype (3)
- ART 024 - Printmaking-Silkscreen (3)
- ART 025 - Beginning Sculpture (3)
- ART 026 - Sculpture (3)
- ART 027 - Sculpture Technology-Metal Casting and Mold Making (3)
- ART 028 - Figure Sculpture (3)
- ART 038A - Ceramics (3)
- ART 038B - Ceramics (3)
- ART 038C - Ceramics (3)
- ART 039A - Handbuilt Ceramics (3)
- ART 039B - Handbuilt Ceramics (3)
- ART 039C - Handbuilt Ceramics (3)
- ART 040 - Introduction to Digital Arts (3)
- ART 056 - Introduction to Digital Painting & Drawing (3)
- ART 057 - Motion Graphics (3)
- PHOT 021 - Introduction to Black and White Photography (3)
- PHOT 022A - Large Format Photography (3)
PHOT 031 - Beginning Digital Photography (3)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.