The PCC Safe Zones vision is to create a safe campus community through cultural competency which is integral to a successful academic experience.
The PCC Safe Zone training identifies, educates, and supports allies. Allies are individuals within the PCC community who consider themselves to be knowledgeable about the needs of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning (LGBTQ) and/or undocumented people. Individuals who complete the training choose to provide support by displaying a sticker or lapel pin that indicates that they are an advocate and have cultural competence for those who are undocumented and/or LGBTQ. By building a community of allies, we will foster and support greater student success.
Safe Zone Workshops are wonderfully unique opportunities for people to talk, learn, and ask questions about sexuality and gender in a non-judgemental, safe, educational environment. Safe Zone Trainings are a safe space free of judgments where people can honestly communicate with each other, educate one another, and ask any and all questions.
We live in an ever-diversifying society, and in order to be supportive and aware of different identities, perspectives, and experiences, we must pursue (and provide) opportunities to learn about different identities, perspectives, and experiences – particularly ones that are stigmatized, marginalized, and largely silenced.
Safe Zone Workshops are opportunities on college campuses for staff, faculty, and community members to learn a little more about how different aspects of a person’s identity influence our everyday experiences, and often a chance to learn about these topics from individuals within the university community.
Ally Training Objectives include:
- Training a network of empathetic allies on campus
- Making this network visible and accessible by posting decals on doors and pins on appropriate locations
- Ending discrimination and bias against LGBTQA and Undocumented campus community members
Assisting LGBTQA & Undocumented students in their social, personal and academic development
The Safe Zone Team
- Afuso, Carrie - Cross Cultural Center Associated Students (Advisor)
- Aragon, James - Faculty (Counselor)
- Carbajal-Ramos, Javier - Outreach Specialist/ Safe Zones (Counselor) & United Without Boundaries (Advisor)
- Carreon, Juan Pablo - Upward Bound Director + IDEAS UCLA (Founder)
- Cervantes, Luis R. - (Professional Expert)
- De La Paz, Yajaira - Career Center (Job Developer/Employer Relations)
- Escobar, Debanhi - (Safe Zones Coalition Assistant)
- Hupp, Jeff - Faculty Safe Zones (Counselor) & Queer Alliance (Advisor)
- Medina-Adamo, Dr. Cecilia - Faculty (Counselor)
- Pangan, Brianjoseph E. - Community Education Center (Counselor)