With the CVC Exchange you can instantly enroll in an online course available at any eligible California Community College. This CVC Exchange allows to enroll in courses that may not be available at PCC so you can achieve your goals faster!

You qualify if:
  • You are enrolled in at least one credit course at PCC or a participating college
  • You have at least a 2.0 GPA or have not yet established a GPA
  • You have no outstanding fees at PCC
  • You don't have an out-of-state address on file at PCC
Find your online courses

You can search for courses at cvc.edu using a variety of criteria such as Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) and CSU GE requirements; substitution courses for specific, full PCC college courses; and courses that are part of specific programs or pathways.


What is the CVC?

The California Virtual Campus Online Education Initiative (CVC-OEI) is a collaborative effort among California Community Colleges to ensure that more students can complete their educational goals by increasing both access to and success in high-quality online courses.

 The CVC-OEI is a digital resource that provides easy access for students to enroll in fully online courses across all 115 brick-and-mortar California Community Colleges. It includes a comprehensive catalog of online programs and courses to help students achieve their educational goals.

What is the CVC Exchange?

The CVC (California Virtual College) Exchange is an innovative, student-centered tool that allows students currently enrolled in a California Community College to instantly enroll in online courses offered at eligible colleges without filling out a separate application.

  • A student must be enrolled in a Home College to participate.
  • Courses at a Teaching College are available for cross-enrollment.

More Info for Students

CVC Exchange students who are simultaneously enrolled at both their Home and Teaching Colleges may be able to receive federal and state financial aid funds based on combined units taken at both colleges. Be sure to contact PCC's Financial Aid Office to get more information. Eligibility will be determined by the student’s Home College.

Students using the CVC Exchange are subject to the payment policies of the college that is offering the class, i.e. the Teaching College. Since a college may have a drop for non-payment policy and deadline date; it is in a student’s best interest to pay for classes at the time of enrollment in order to secure a seat in the class. Even if a student initially chooses the credit card option to pay for classes, eligible students are still allowed and encouraged to apply for both the CCPG and Federal Financial Aid at time of payment. If approved for either or both CCPG and Federal Aid, students who may have used the credit card option will be appropriately reimbursed.

  1. Pay with credit card: The option to pay with a credit card through the payment portal is the most immediate payment option available to Exchange students.
  2. California Colleges Promise Grant (CCPG): Students who are eligible California residents, may apply for the California Colleges Promise Grant (CCPG) which can waive enrollment fees for qualified students for the entire school year.
  3. Federal Financial Aid: If an Exchange student is qualified to receive Federal Financial Aid from their Home College, to help cover the cost of tuition and fees for classes being taken at the Teaching College; they may request Federal Financial Aid from their Home College.

Refunds are subject to the policies and procedures of the college offering the course (Teaching College). The Teaching College is also responsible for processing individual refunds. If you dropped a class through the Exchange platform, please select the refund policy page below for the Teaching College where you dropped the class for more information on how to obtain a refund for your dropped class.

A student's Disabled Student Programs and Services (DSPS) status or accommodations determination will not automatically transfer to the Teaching College. If you need an accommodation, please contact DSP&S.

Students wanting to use the Exchange must consent to have their transcripts automatically shared from the Teaching College to the Home College at the end of the term. The Exchange informed consent statement at time of enrollment specifies that a student must consent to having their transcripts automatically shared with the Home College. This consent acts as the request for any classes taken through the Exchange.

How do students enroll in a course that is not offered at a "Teaching College?”
Students are directed to the college's CCCApply page and should apply using the regular process.

Need help with Canvas? Visit our Technical Support.

Info for Faculty

Pasadena City College is now participating in the exchange under two categories:

  1. Home College: The California Community College from which a student enters the CVC Exchange to take courses through other colleges.
  2. Teaching College: College that offers courses via the CVC Exchange to students from other participating colleges.

As a PCC instructor, your fully online course will automatically be made available through the exchange for cross-enrollment (enrollment between two colleges).

Your online course can be asynchronous or synchronous, as long as it is fully online. It cannot have any required on campus meetings.

Note: Current PCC students can enroll through Lancerpoint and do not need to register through the CVC-OEI Exchange to attend PCC classes.

  1. Student signs into cvc.edu and identifies their Home College.
  2. Student searches for classes sorted by category (CSU, IGETC, or topic)
  3. Student selects the desired course for enrollment.

Courses appear in the search results based on the number of badges they have. Courses are eligible for the following badges:

  • Quality Reviewed: courses must complete the PCC POCR Quality Review process to receive this badge
  • Zero Textbook Cost: courses marked as OER/ZTC receive this badge

Available courses are displayed to students in the following order:

  1. Available Home College courses
    • Any Home College courses with a Quality Reviewed badge appear at the top of this list
  2. Available Teaching College Courses
    • Any Teaching College courses with a Quality Reviewed badge appear at the top of this list
  3. Any other available courses offered through other CCCs participating in the Exchange