As an international student, it is very important to maintain your health to achieve learning success. Understanding the resources available to you as a student is an important part of staying healthy. 

Health Care Resources

Student Health Services at PCC

The Student Health Center provides clinical care for you and is designed to address health promotion, disease prevention, short-term acute illnesses, and injuries and to assist in finding resources to manage your health conditions. Eligible students can make use of PCC clinical health services for immunizations, dental care, STD testing, smoking cessation, and women's health services.

Go to Student Health Services

Personal Counseling at PCC

The Personal Counseling Program is committed to helping college students. PCC provides a variety of free counseling services to PCC students. Learning to master daily challenges will enhance your psychological, interpersonal, educational, and career development while at PCC and long after leaving the campus.

Visit Personal Counseling

Local Urgent Care

Most immediate medical care can be provided at urgent care clinics. Using these clinics can also decrease your out-of-pocket costs. The table below lists the hours and locations of some local urgent care facilities:

West Coast Urgent Care

  • Mon. - Sun.: 9:00am - 9:00pm
  • 600 South Lake Avenue #105, Pasadena, CA 91106
  • (626) 795-2244

Pasadena City Urgent Care

  • Mon. - Fri.: 8:00am - 8:00pm
    Sat. - Sun.: 9:00am - 5:00pm
  • 215 N. Allen Ave.
    Pasadena, CA

  • (626) 817-9002

Advanced Urgent Care of Pasadena

  • Mon. - Fri.: 8:00am - 8:00pm

    Sat. - Sun.: 9:00am - 5:00pm

  • 797 S. Arroyo Parkway, Pasadena, CA 91107
  • (626) 304-0404

Minute Clinic (Inside CVS- local clinics) – minor care only

International Student Health Insurance

All F-1 Visa international students are required to purchase international student health insurance from PCC. The cost of insurance will be added to your tuition and fees at registration.

  • Insurance Carrier: Academic HealthPlans
  • Network: United Healthcare (health and behavioral); MetLife (dental); Academic VisionCare+ (vision)
  • Cost: $1368 annually
  • Coverage Dates:
    • Fall Semester: August 1 to December 31
    • Spring/Summer Semester: January 1 to August 13
  • Coverage: Medical and Behavioral, Dental and Vision
  • Insurance ID Card:
    • Instructions on how to download your Insurance ID will be emailed to you approximately one month after payment
    • Carry the ID Card with you at all times

Helpful Links

Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

Yes. All students holding an F-1 Visa will be automatically enrolled and charged for International Student Health Insurance.

International Students attending PCC are mandated to purchase the medical insurance policy provided by PCC. Medical care in the United States is very expensive and extremely complicated. When an unforeseen accident or illness occurs, it is important that you have insurance to cover the high costs of medical treatments. For more information or to schedule an appointment, representatives can be reached at 1-855-357-0244.

A co-payment is the amount of money you pay to your provider (doctor/hospital) each time you receive medical care and when you present your insurance card. These fees are non-refundable.

Money Saving Tip: If you plan to see a doctor for a non-urgent matter, please visit Student Health Services and Personal Counseling first. 

A deductible is the amount of money you must pay out of pocket (on your own) for your medical services before the insurance company starts paying. For your PCC International Student Health Insurance, you do not have a deductible; you will only have to pay a co-payment.

Starting in Fall 2022, the insurance premium will now include benefits for vision and dental. Vision is covered through AcademicVisionCare+ and dental will be covered through MetLife. Visit Vision and Dental benefits for more information. 

You will receive an email to your PCC Email account from Academic HealthPlans with information regarding your health and vision insurance ID cards. Dental ID cards will be activated and emailed to you after on September 1.   

A Claim Form is a form you can fill out if you would like to be reimbursed for any costs you paid when you receive medical service without providing your insurance card (claims cannot be submitted for co-pays) or if you receive extra bills after you have paid your co-pay and after you received medical service. It must be filled out completely, and you send it to the insurance company for review and reimubrsement. Remember to keep any receipts for out-of-pocket costs. Submit a claim form within 90 days of your treatment and forms are available here

  1. If the Student Health Services cannot treat you or is closed, go to one of the in-network urgent care centers. Use an Urgent Care instead of a Hospital Emergency room because it may decrease your out-of-pocket expenses. Find a in-network provider here.
  2. If you have specific questions about your insurance, you can contact the insurance company directly at 1-855-357-0244 or visit their website. In order to for a medical bill be paid at 100%, the doctor or hospital must be a member of the Preferred Provider Organization (United HealthCare).

This means your insurance only covers you when you’re sick or you've had an accident. In addition, there are additional benefits such as low co-pays for prescription drugs (doctor-mandated medications); annual woman’s wellness visit, which includes a pap smear and a breast exam; and low-cost immunization vaccines.

PPO stands for Preferred Provider Organization. It is the network of all doctors, specialists and hospitals that accept the PCC international student health insurance plan. All of those listed are available to you for consultation and treatment. Always check that they are still participating providers.

If you use a doctor or hospital that is not a member of the Preferred Provider Organization (PPO), you will be responsible for 20% of the eligible expenses charged.

Always bring the following:

  • A copy of your insurance ID card
  • Photo identification (e.g. Driver's License, Passport, PCC ID)

If the bills are given or sent to you, you may submit them to the Claims Department. A Claims Form must be submitted, along with copy of your bills. For questions regarding claims, contact ACI, the claims processor, at (610)-293-9229 or

1. Download the Claims Form from the Pasadena MyAHPCare site
2. Complete and sign the Claims Form
3. Make a copy of all itemized medical bills that you have received 
4. Mail the Claims Form and copy of itemized medical bills to:

P.O. Box 4000
Collegeville, PA 19426

Every case is treated confidentially by Student Health Services and Personal Counseling on campus, as well as any doctors that you access outside of PCC. No information will be released to your parents, guardians or PCC without your written consent.

No other insurance policies will be accepted as a substitute for the PCC International Student Health Insurance. International students attending PCC are required to purchase the medical insurance policy provided by PCC.

Any medical received outside of California is covered by your International Student Health Insurance plan. For details and benefits, visit Pasadena MyAHPCare for details.