Fashion - Fashion Assistant
This Certifcate of Achievement does not count as a major for an Associate Degree.
The curriculum prepares students for the workplace environment with skills required to work as an assistant to a fashion designer, merchandiser, stylist, production manager, or design room manager. The coursework covers essential skills in apparel construction, flat pattern and draping. Introduction to apparel industry concepts and design principles will also be taught. Fashion sketch, spec sheets, production flats, and costing are part of the training program. Upon completion of the required courses, the student will have a working vocabulary and basic knowledge of the apparel industry.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Design entry level fashion garments using external and historical fashion influences and appropriate fabric selection.
- Create a design portfolio and industry marketing materials and production documents.
- Utilize current draping and drafting methods to create original patterns.
- Demonstrate an intermediate proficiency in operating industrial equipment for apparel industry garment construction and fabric selection.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required units: 24
- FASH 001A – Fashion Survey (3)
- FASH 002 – Introduction to Fashion Industry (3)
- FASH 021 – Principles of Fashion (3)
- FASH 110 – Fashion Illustration (3)
- FASH 005 – Pattern Drafting (3)
- FASH 009 – Beginning Textiles (3)
- FASH 111A – Introduction to Fashion Design (3)
- FASH 124 – History of Costume (3)