In the best interest of our students and to better serve the employers, Pasadena City College (PCC) pre-screens all employers and job postings that lead to part time, full time, seasonal, internships, and experiential learning opportunities before making them available to students. Employer account requests and job postings are reviewed and evaluated on a regular basis after which the request is either approved or denied depending on meeting the criteria outlined below, and in accordance with Department of Labor employment laws. To learn more about how PCC defines employment opportunities, please refer to our glossary of terms at the end of this document.
A. Creating an Employer Account
To create a company profile on PCC’s online job board, College Central Network, employer profiles must include:
- Full and accurate name of the organization.
- Company representative(s) that can be contacted by PCC staff via phone, email, and virtually.
- Verifiable company address. Private residences and P.O. boxes will generally not be approved.
- All international organizations must have a U.S. based office.
- Employers must agree and initial the Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) status.
Possible additional information required:
- Valid business license.
- Liability insurance policy number.
- D&B number when available.
B. Job Posting Requirements
Full-time and part-time jobs must include the following:
- A specific job title for the position being advertised.
- A detailed job description, including the type of service to be rendered and/or product sold.
- Wage information: a definite hourly wage, salary, or pay range. Wage must meet the local minimum wage requirement.
- A physical regular location for the work being performed. Remote jobs must indicate “remote” in the “Job Location: City” field.
- Work schedule, including shift hours and days.
- Employers must make an effort to contact PCC’s Job Developers if an interview and/or employment offer has been extended to a PCC student or alumni.
For information regarding internship postings, please refer to the internship guidelines section.
C. Reasons for Declining an Employer or a Job
- Employers is requiring employees or applicants to pay application/placement, membership, license, deposit, or training fees.
- Position(s) posted with no disclosed salary/wage using language such as: depends on experience, competitive, commission, negotiable, to be determined, etc.
- Multi-level marketing organizations.
- Employer is recruiting participants for research studies and focus groups.
- Discrimination based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex/gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status.
- In-home/Private residence jobs not affiliated with an agency, including but not limited to: Tutoring, caregiving, child-care, pet-sitting, home repair.
- Bartering. Trading goods or services between two or more parties without the use of money. Ex: Room and board.
- Companies involved in the marijuana/cannabis industries including: employment, internships, or similar positions involved in the production, possession, distribution, marketing or use of marijuana. PCC is a recipient of federal funds and must comply with federal law, including the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act and Drug Free Workplace Act.
- Volunteer opportunities will be approved or denied on a case-by-case basis and must be a verifiable 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
- Freelance and 1099 opportunities will be approved or denied on a case-by-case basis and must comply with the Independent Contractor Classification under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Please note if approved, these opportunities will be promoted via an alternative database.
Other reasons for denial of employer services:
- Failure to respond to PCC staff inquiries including but not limited to: not providing requested documentation for account approval, lack of email communication, and/or not returning phone calls.
- Complaints have been filed against the employer for past recruitments regarding hiring or other employment practices, including unsafe and/or hostile work environments.
- The employment practices appear to be discriminatory, unless supported by a federal or state law or by a bona fide occupational qualification.
- Employee is not placed on company payroll and is paid through alternative cash basis. Ex: Paypal, Venmo, Zelle, CashApp, Cash, Personal Check, etc.
D. Additional Information Regarding Employer Participation
- Internships & Externships
“Internships” or “externships” that are paid or unpaid must be screened and approved by PCC’s Internship Developers. These opportunities must include details of the specific objectives that will be learned or observed through the practical experience. In addition, unpaid internships for credit internships must adhere to the six criteria set forth by the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Career Development Events
Participation in career development events, such as job fairs, class presentations, and special recruitment activities, will be limited to organizations that meet and adhere to these Employer Guidelines
- Employment Agencies
An employment agency or other entities that recruit and refer job-seekers to other employers may post job openings as long as they meet all other “Posting Requirements”. No fees will be charged to the job applicant. Additionally, job posting must disclose the following: the position is listed by an employment agency, and whether the agency will serve as the employer of record, or is recruiting on behalf of another employer.
- Political Campaign Recruitment
Per Government Codes 8314 and 82015, the recruitment or coordination of campaign activities, volunteers, and/or employees on behalf of a candidate constitutes a use of public resources for a campaign activity, and is not permitted.
- Military Recruitment
In accordance with the Solomon Amendment, access to the campus and to students for the purpose of military recruitment will be granted to military personnel that is at least equal in quality and scope to the access to the campus and to students that is provided to any employer.
- All jobs are posted and promoted at the discretion of Pasadena City College.
- Pasadena City College reserves the right to amend these guidelines without notice.