Welcome to Career Counseling and Advisement where we provide support and guidance in navigating your major and career choices.
Whether you are the first in your family to go to college, a first year student, considering changing your major or starting college after some time in the workforce, we work with you to develop the skills, knowledge and resources to confidently manage your career choices at and beyond PCC. We support your career development.
What is Career Development?
Career development is the process through which we come to understand ourselves as we relate to the world or work and our role in it. It helps us answer these questions:
- Who Am I?
- What’s Out There?
- Where Am I Going?
- How Do I Get There?
It’s a continuous, lifelong and more messy than straightforward process of reflection, exploration, decision-making and action that brings us closer to our ideal job and lifestyle.
Career Development Process
Exploring different majors or career paths, considering changing your major, or just feeling overwhelmed thinking about your future, let’s connect to start a conversation.
Career Counselor Appointment
Counseling 17 is a career planning course designed to assist students in making satisfying career choices. Students identify and build greater awareness of their interests, strengths, values, personality, and career options using career assessments and resources . Skills necessary for job preparation, exploration and decision-making are discussed and developed.
Interestested in taking this course? View the Schedule of Classes to see our most updated upcoming offerings. We look forward to seeing you in class!
2-unit, CSU transferable course.
We offer 6 career communities that provide you with opportunities to learn with students who have similar career goals. Attend events, learn about majors and career paths in each community, engage in conversations, develop skills and create community with students, faculty, counselors, and staff in your areas of interest.
- Business & Industry
- Health Science & Wellness
- Art, Communication & Design
- Social & Behavioral Sciences
- Liberal Arts
Degrees and Certificates
Whether you're planning to transfer to a four-year university or looking to enter the workforce, PCC offers a transfer major, degree or certificate to get you there.
Discover career options that align with your strengths, personality and interests by taking the 60 question Career Survey. “Sign up” before you start your survey to save your results (located on the upper right corner of the page).
After taking the career survey, we highly recommend you make a career appointment to discuss your results. Processing and reflecting on your results can lead to greater insight and self-awareness about your career.
Career Counselor Appointment
Explore Careers & Labor Market Data (salary, job growth & demand) using reliable and up-to-date resources
24/7 Resources available on the web
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Explore career paths by occupation groups, fastest growing, highest paying, and most jobs projected. National labor market data.
- California Career Zone - Explore career paths and educational programs by industry sectors and more. California specific labor market data.
- O-Net Online - Explore careers by interests, skills and more. National labor market data.
- CareerOneStop - Explore careers, educational programs, and gather career information for diverse populations. National & state specific labor market data.
- What Can I Do With This Major - Whether you’re exploring majors or searching for information about your chosen field, this website will help you connect majors to careers.
PCC specific resources. Login required.
- Eureka.org - Gather information and videos about occupations. Discover colleges/universities that offer the major or program you are interested in. Create an account using the Site ID Code: HMYIWUC
- Career Cruising - Explore occupations and access career interviews with professionals in the field. Login - Username (pasadena); Password (cc). Once you login, go to “Login to My Plan” (located on the upper, left corner) and create your personal account by clicking on “Create My Plan.”
Connect majors to careers, discover colleges & universities that offer your major and learn about courses you would need to take for your major.
- Assist.org - Explore majors & required courses for the major at UCs and CSUs
- Degrees at CSUs - Search majors & degree programs at CSUs
- BigFuture - Discover majors at colleges/universities in California and out-of-state
Explore Career Technical Education (CTE) Programs, if you are interested in getting only an Associates Degree and/or Certificate
- Success in the New Economy - What is CTE?
- CTE at PCC - Explore CTE programs offered at PCC
- SalarySurfer - Gather information about the earnings of recent California community college graduates with an Associate or Certificate degree
- Find a Program - Search for CTE programs at community colleges in California.