Classified Employee Guidelines for Requesting Funding for Conference Travel
- Classified employees may apply for up to $500 in funding for conference registration and/or related travel expenses, per fiscal year (July 1 - June 30).
- Each year the Professional Development Standing Committee allocates professional development (PD) funds to the Classified Senate. A portion of those funds support conference attendance and are allotted to classified employees on a first come, first served basis. Once the funding is depleted, applications will not be accepted until the next fiscal year.
- The California legislature has banned state-funded travel to the following states: Alabama; Kansas; Kentucky; Mississippi; North Carolina; Oklahoma; South Dakota; Tennessee and Texas. Applications for funding to travel to these states cannot be approved. Current information on this policy: https://oag.ca.gov/ab1887
- Funding applications include a question about share-out plans for how expertise gained during the conference will be shared within the PCC community. Requests for funding must address this question.
- Applications must be signed by the classified employee’s supervisor prior to submission.
- Applications must be submitted no less than 10 business days prior to travel. Applications for funding will not be accepted after a conference has taken place.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered and will be returned to the classified employee.
- Requests that exceed $500 will be returned to the classified employee, unless:
- An additional PCC account will cover the expenses beyond $500. The cost center manager of this additional account must identify the account number and sign the application before it is submitted.
- The classified employee commits to covering the costs above $500 herself/himself. This must be stated in writing on the application.
- Requests for reimbursement are due two weeks after travel completion. Reimbursement requests must be accompanied by itemized receipts that indicate the specific items/services that were purchased. No exceptions.
- The maximum reimbursement for meals is $41 per day. Restaurant receipts must be itemized. The purchase of alcoholic beverages will not be reimbursed.
- Rental car costs are not allowed unless approved in advance by the area Vice President.
- Lodging will not be funded for trips to locations 50 miles or less from PCC or the traveler’s primary residence, whichever is closer.
- Classified employees are strongly encouraged to share out the expertise gained through conference attendance. Flex/ PD Day and/or Classified Day breakout sessions are an excellent venue for doing so.
- Classified employees who turn down opportunities to share the expertise gained through conference attendance may not be eligible for conference travel funds in the following academic year.
All reimbursements must follow the guidelines established by Administrative Procedure 7400 PROFESSIONAL CONFERENCE ATTENDANCE (rev. 9/30/15): http://www.boarddocs.com/ca/pasadena/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=AM7PTA65FF60