Film, Television, and Electronic Media (AS-T)
The Associate in Science for Transfer Degree in Film, Television & Electronic Media is designed to build students’ performance skills in the areas of the film, television and digital media industries –including production and operations; to enrich students’ aesthetic and intellectual proficiency in film, TV & the digital media landscape; and to provide pre-professional training. The AS-T in Film, TV & Electronic Media emphasizes tactile experience in the creation of film productions, live television & radio programming, and both audio and video content designed for digital and portable delivery systems. At the same time, the degree offers courses in all aspects of the film, television, radio and digital media industries, both artistic and academic. Faculty, staff and students work closely together to build a solid foundation in the practical, artistic and historical aspects of film, television, radio and digital media.
The Associate in Science in Film, Television, and Electronic Media for Transfer degree requirements:
- Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University.
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
- All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.
- A “P” (Pass) grade is not acceptable grade for courses in the major. (Students completing this degree are not required to fulfill additional local graduation requirements.)
- Create effective communication using written, oral and audio/visual methods in a media context.
- Integrate critical thinking into a media context.
- Integrate standards of professional conduct in a media context.
- Develop technological proficiency in a media context.
Associate in Science in Film, Television, and Electronic Media for Transfer Degree
Please Note: The prefixes of PHOT 026A, 026B, 027, THRT 005A, and 005B are becoming CINE (CINEMA). The courses are exactly the same except for the discipline change. These changes have not yet been reflected in ASSIST.ORG.
REQUIRED CORE: SELECT 2 COURSES (6 UNITS)
- TVR 001 - Introduction to Electronic Media (3)
or COMM 001 - Survey of Mass Communication (3)
- TVR 015 - Introduction to Media Writing (3)
- TVR 019 - Introduction to Media Aesthetics & Cinematic Arts (3)
LIST A: SELECT 1 ONE FROM EACH AREA (6 UNITS)
AREA 1: AUDIO
- TVR 002A - Beginning Audio Production (3)
- TVR 014A - Beginning Radio Production (3)
AREA 2: VIDEO OR FILM PRODUCTION
- TVR 004 - Beginning Single Camera Production (3)
- TVR 007 - Beginning TV Studio Production (3)
- CINE 026A (PHOT 026A) - Beginning Electronic Filmmaking (3)
LIST B: SELECT 1 (3 UNITS) OR ANY COURSE NOT ALREADY USED ABOVE
- TVR 012 – Beginning Announcing and Performing in Electronic Media
- TVR 016A – Television Production (4)
- TVR 017A – Television and Film Script Writing (3)
- TVR 018 – Radio and Television News Writing (3)
- CINE 026B (PHOT 026B) – Intermediate Filmmaking-Electronic
- CINE 007A (THRT 007A) – Early Film History (3)
- CINE 007B (THRT 007B) – Contemporary Film History (3)
LIST C: SELECT 1 (3 UNITS) OR ANY COURSE NOT ALREADY USED ABOVE
- ART 057 (DMA 070) – Motion Graphics (3)
- TVR 002B – Radio Broadcast Master Control Operations (3)
- TVR 016B – Advanced Television Production (4)
- TVR 021 – Electronic Media Management (3)
- TVR 024 – Electronic News Gathering and Editing (3)
- CINE 027 (PHOT 027) – Cinematography (3)
- PHOT 030 – Introduction to Digital Image Editing (3)
- MUSC 096A – Introduction to Music Recording and Production (3.5)
- ART 080 – Foundations of Interactive Game Design (3)
- Required Subtotal: 18-18.5
- CSU General Education or IGETC Pattern: 37-39
- DEGREE TOTAL: 60 units