The certificate curriculum prepares students to seek entry-level employment in a variety of commercial photographic specialties (for example, photojournalism, portraiture, fashion, architectural, product, etc.). Instruction is offered in cameras, aesthetics, color and black and white, film and digital, darkroom procedures, digital image editing, lighting, and business practices for photographers. Students completing the program will have developed a portfolio.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon successful completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Demonstrate technical knowledge through the effective use of tools and editing software.
- Analyze aesthetic and cultural values inherent in photographic works.
- Demonstrate through the creation of a portfolio of work (for transfer or entry-level employment) the ability to communicate effectively.
This program is designed to be completed in months.
This program will cost if completed within normal time. There may be additional costs for living expenses. These costs were accurate at the time of posting, but may have changed.
Of the students who completed this program within normal time, the typical graduate leaves with of debt.
For more information about graduation rates, loan repayment rates, and post-enrollment earnings about this institution and other postsecondary institutions please click here: www.collegescorecard.ed.gov.
This program has not passed standards established by the U.S. Department of Education. The Department based these standards on the amounts students borrow for enrollment in this program and their reported earnings. If in the future the program does not pass the standards, students who are then enrolled may not be able to use federal student grants or loans to pay for the program, and may have to find other ways, such as private loans, to pay for the program.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required units: 24
- PHOT 002 – Digital Photography (3)
- PHOT 003 – Production I (3)
- PHOT 010 – History of Photography (3)
- PHOT 004 – Image Culture (3)
- PHOT 005 – Video (3)
- PHOT 102 – Digital Photography II (3)
- PHOT 103 – Production II (3)
or PHOT 104 – Experimental Photography (3)
- PHOT 109 – Portfolio Capstone (3)
- PHOT 001 – Film Photography I (3)
- PHOT 101 – Film Photography II (3)
- DMA 060 – Creative Coding (3)
- DMA 070 – Motion Graphics (3)
- DMA 032 – Interaction Design (3)
- CINE 026A – Beginning Electronic Filmmaking (3)
- ART 005 – Art Fundamentals (3)
- JOUR 023 – Photojournalism (3)
- JOUR 022 – Advanced Press Photography (3)
- BUS 116 – Entrepreneurship (3)
- ART 001A – History of Western Art - Prehistoric Through Medieval (3)
- ART 011A – Foundation Drawing (3)
- DMA 010 – Digital Art Design Foundation (3)
- DMA 030 – Research for Design (3)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.