The certificate curriculum prepares students to seek entry-level employment in a variety of commercial photographic specialties (for example, photojournalism, portraiture, fashion, architectural, product, etc.). Instruction is offered in cameras, aesthetics, color and black and white, film and digital, darkroom procedures, digital image editing, lighting, and business practices for photographers. Students completing the program will have developed a portfolio.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon successful completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Demonstrate technical knowledge through the effective use of tools.
- Analyze aesthetic and cultural values inherent in photographic works.
- Demonstrate through the creation of a portfolio of work (for transfer or entry-level employment) the ability to communicate effectively.
This program is designed to be completed in months.
This program will cost if completed within normal time. There may be additional costs for living expenses. These costs were accurate at the time of posting, but may have changed.
Of the students who completed this program within normal time, the typical graduate leaves with of debt.
For more information about graduation rates, loan repayment rates, and post-enrollment earnings about this institution and other postsecondary institutions please click here: www.collegescorecard.ed.gov.
This program has not passed standards established by the U.S. Department of Education. The Department based these standards on the amounts students borrow for enrollment in this program and their reported earnings. If in the future the program does not pass the standards, students who are then enrolled may not be able to use federal student grants or loans to pay for the program, and may have to find other ways, such as private loans, to pay for the program.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required units: 33
- ART 031A – Color and Composition–Two Dimensional Design (3)
- PHOT 010 – History of Photography (3)
or ART 001B – History of Western Art (3)
- PHOT 021 – Introduction to Black and White Photography (3)
- PHOT 030 – Introduction to Digital Image Editing (3)
- PHOT 031 – Beginning Digital Photography (3)
or PHOT 023A – Color Photography (3)
- PHOT 033 – Portrait Photography (3)
or PHOT 040 – Fashion Photography (3)
- PHOT 022A – Large Format Photography (3)
- PHOT 132 – Advanced Digital Photography (3)
or PHOT 023B – Advanced Color Photography (3)
- PHOT 136 – Video for Photographers (3)
- PHOT 135 – Advanced Photography (3)
- PHOT 140 – Professional Practices For Photographers (3)
- ART 005 – Art Fundamentals (3)
- ART 011A – Foundation Drawing (3)
- ART 016 – Perspective (3)
- ART 050A – Introduction to Graphic Design & Advertising (3)
- ART 050B – Intermediate Graphic Design & Advertising (3)
- ART 050C – Advanced Graphic Design & Advertising (3)
- ART 104 – History of American Art (3)
- BUS 116 – Small Business Management (3)
- GRFX 080 – Graphic Reproduction Fundamentals (2)
- JOUR 021 – Beginning Press Photography (3)
- JOUR 022 – Advanced Press Photography (3)
- PHOT 024A – Alternative Processes In Photography (3)
- PHOT 024B – Experimental Photography (3)
- PHOT 131 – Zone System of Photography (3)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.