This Certificate of Achievement does not count as a major for an Associate Degree.
The Certificate of Achievement in Music curriculum provides students with a broad foundation in music that will enable them to pursue a variety of musical paths including performance, composition, and music education. Students will develop performance skills through applied lessons and participation in ensembles, combined with a two-year sequence of music theory, aural skills/sight-reading, and keyboard proficiency courses. Students who complete the curriculum can seek entry-level employment as music educators, performers, music assistants, and musical leaders in liturgical/worship services. Prior to beginning the coursework in this program, students should have at least some experience in reading printed music and playing an instrument/voice.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Utilize theoretical principles in the analysis and composition of music from various periods and styles.
- Demonstrate an advanced aural awareness of the melodic, harmonic, and rhythmic elements of tonal music. Display the musicianship skills necessary to participate successfully in various musical endeavors, including performance and composition.
- Present successful solo performances using appropriate repertoire for their chosen instrument/voice with technical proficiency, musicality and stylistic awareness.
- Perform and/or participate successfully in small and large ensembles, using time management, interpersonal skills, and musicality to assist in the production of a collaborative musical work.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
- MUSC 001A - Music Theory I (3)
- MUSC 001B - Music Theory II (3)
- MUSC 001C - Music Theory III (3)
- MUSC 001D - Music Theory IV (3)
- MUSC 002A - Musicianship I (3)
- MUSC 002B - Musicianship II (3)
- MUSC 002C - Musicianship III (3)
- MUSC 002D - Musicianship IV (3)
- MUSC 004A - Keyboard Skills I (1)
- MUSC 004B - Keyboard Skills II (1)
- MUSC 004C - Keyboard Skills III (1)
- MUSC 004D - Keyboard Skills IV (1)
This course must be taken 4 times
- MUSC 010 - Concert Music (0.50)
Applied Instruction I and II: Take 2 units from the following options
- MUSC 009A - Individual Instruction I (1)
- MUSC 009B - Individual Instruction II (Classical) (1)
or MUSC 009D - Individual Instruction II (Jazz/Commercial) (1)
Applied Instruction III: Take 2 units from the following options
- MUSC 009C - Individual Instruction III (Classical) (1)
or MUSC 009E - Individual Instruction III (Jazz/Commercial) (1)
Ensembles: Choose 4 units from the following options
- MUSC 043 - Piano Ensemble (1)
- MUSC 044 - Piano Accompanying (1)
- MUSC 056 - Vocal Jazz Ensemble (1)
- MUSC 057A - Jazz Combo (1)
- MUSC 057B - Lancer Jazz Big Band (1)
- MUSC 057C - Studio Jazz Ensemble (1)
- MUSC 057D - Swing Band (1)
- MUSC 057E - Jazz Guitar Ensemble (1)
- MUSC 057F - Latin Jazz Ensemble (1)
- MUSC 057I - Vocal Jazz Combo (1)
- MUSC 060 - College/Community Orchestra (1)
- MUSC 061 - Lancer Marching Band (2)
- MUSC 062 - Lancer Concert Band (2)
- MUSC 063 - Concert Choir (1)
- MUSC 064 - Chamber Singers (1)
- MUSC 074 - Opera Workshop (2)
- MUSC 075 - Musical Theater Workshop (2)
- MUSC 076 - Opera Production (2)
- MUSC 082 - Guitar Ensemble (1)