The Hospitality Management curriculum offers the student the opportunity to receive an Associate Degree and/or a Hospitality Management Certificate of Achievement, as well as fulfill many of the required coursework of existing four-year Hospitality Management Programs throughout the country. The curriculum prepares students to seek entry-level management positions in the hospitality management industry. Related career opportunities abound in the industry, both locally and on a global basis, and include such titles as Front Desk Manager, Social Director, Caterer, Hospitality Supervisor, Meeting Planner, Recreational Director and Travel Director. Graduates of the program have the potential of working throughout the world for major hotel, motel and restaurant companies, private clubs, business and industry food-service providers, theme parks and recreational facilities, consulting firms and other related industries.
The curriculum within this program includes a survey of the hospitality industry: operations management, financial management, human resource management, marketing and sales, accounting, business communications, mathematics, leadership, computer technology applications, and more, providing a practical base of hospitality management knowledge and abilities. The Program provides a work site/internship component providing the student with on-the-job experience with local employers while attending Pasadena City College.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Identify major components of hospitality industry and educational pathways.
- Identify local health laws and basic food handling safety.
- Demonstrate the knowledge of fundamental principles of leadership and model the behavior of effective leaders.
- Develop a global perspective and an ability to work with diverse groups in multicultural settings.
- Demonstrate knowledge and comprehension of sanitation and safety regulations in the hospitality industry.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required Units: 22 units
- HOSP 001 - Introduction to the Hospitality Industry (3)
- BIT 025 - Survey of Computer Technology in Business (3)
- HOSP 002 - Hospitality Supervision and Human Resource Management (3)
- BUS 012A - Business Law (3)
- ACCT 010 - Bookkeeping-Accounting (4)
- HOSP 004 - Hospitality Sanitation, Safety & Environmental Issues Manage (3)
- HOSP 130 - Hospitality Marketing, Sales, and Advertising (3)
- BUS 011A - Business Communications (3)
- HOSP 101 - Hospitality Internship (3)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.