Design Media Art - Graphic Design
The field of graphic design involves bringing ideas to the printed page or screens. Concepts covered include design history, page layout, typography, research, branding, and interaction design/user experience (UX). Students will develop a portfolio and participate in a shared incubator course with all Design/Media Arts students.
All courses in this certificate require literacy and proficiency in writing and math. Projects require written, oral, and visual presentations as well as the application of basic math principles and skills.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Understand and apply the vocabulary of the graphic design field, design research, and the process of design thinking.
- Create advanced original design projects that analyze, define, and solve problems in visual communications.
- Utilize the critique process and research to analyze the effectiveness of visual communications on graphic design projects.
- Apply knowledge of page layout software to produce graphic design projects.
- Create and present a portfolio of original student work that reflects an advanced understanding of visual communication and design principles.
This program is designed to be completed in months.
This program will cost if completed within normal time. There may be additional costs for living expenses. These costs were accurate at the time of posting, but may have changed.
Of the students who completed this program within normal time, the typical graduate leaves with of debt.
For more information about graduation rates, loan repayment rates, and post-enrollment earnings about this institution and other postsecondary institutions please click here: www.collegescorecard.ed.gov.
This program has not passed standards established by the U.S. Department of Education. The Department based these standards on the amounts students borrow for enrollment in this program and their reported earnings. If in the future the program does not pass the standards, students who are then enrolled may not be able to use federal student grants or loans to pay for the program, and may have to find other ways, such as private loans, to pay for the program.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required units: 24
- DMA 002 - History of Design and Media Arts (3)
- DMA 010 - Digital Art: Design Foundation (3)
- ART 031A - Color And Composition - Two Dimensional Design (3)
- DMA 020A - Graphic Design I (3)
- DMA 022A - Typography I (3)
- DMA 032 - Interaction Design (3)
or DMA 034 - User Experience Design (UX) (3)
- DMA 020B - Graphic Design II (3)
- DMA 098 - Design/Media Arts Incubator (3)
- ART 011A - Foundation Drawing (3)
- BUS 002 - Personal Finance (3)
- BUS 009 - Introduction to Business (3)
- BUS 010 - Introduction to Management (3)
- BUS 011A - Business Communications (3)
- BUS 116 - Entrepreneurship (3)
- CINE 026A - Beginning Electronic Filmmaking (3)
- COLL 001 - First Year Seminar (3)
- DMA 012 - Digital Art: Painting & Drawing (3)
- DMA 022B - Typography II (3)
- DMA 050 - Web Design & Development (3)
- DMA 060 - Creative Coding (3)
- DMA 062 - Creating Coding for the Internet (3)
- DMA 064 - Creative Coding for Mobile Devices (3)
- DMA 070 - Motion Graphics (3)
- MRKT 020 - Principles of Marketing (3)
- MRKT 123 - Promotions and Marketing Communications (3)
- MRKT 150 - Social Media Marketing for Business (3)
- SPCH 001 - Fundamentals of Speech (3)
or SPCH 001H - Honors Fundamentals of Speech (3)
- SPCH 010 - Interpersonal Communication (3)