Digital Media - Graphic Design
The curriculum prepares students to seek employment in the advertising/graphic design industry as entry-level production designers or junior graphic designers. Emphasis is on a solid foundation in the area of commercial art. Students will develop a portfolio.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Demonstrate a command of the vocabulary of the graphic design field, and a thorough understanding of the components of graphic design/advertising.
- Create advanced original design projects that analyze, define, and solve problems in visual communications.
- Utilize the critique process to analyze the effectiveness of visual communications on graphic design/advertising projects.
- Demonstrate competency in the operation of computer graphics applications and hardware to produce graphic design and advertising projects.
- Create and present a portfolio of original student work that represents an advanced understanding of visual communication and design principles.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required units: 48
- ART 011A – Foundation Drawing (3)
- ART 015 – Sketching For Design (3)
- ART 031A – Color and Composition-Two Dimensional Design (3)
- PHOT 021 – Introduction to Black and White Photography (3)
- ART 016 – Perspective (3)
- ART 032A – Design-Three Dimensional (3)
- ART 050A – Introduction to Graphic Design & Advertising (3)
- ART 051A – Typography – Lettering (3)
- ART 018 – Rendering (3)
- ART 050B – Intermediate Graphic Design & Advertising (3)
- ART 056 – Introduction to Digital Painting & Drawing (3)
- PHOT 030 – Introduction to Digital Image Editing (3)
- ART 001A – History of Western Art-Prehistoric through Medieval (3)
or ART 001B – History of Western Art (3)
- ART 050C – Advanced Graphic Design & Advertising (3)
- ART 052A – Introduction to Illustration (3)
PHOT 130 – Advanced Digital Image Editing (3)
- ART 024 – Printmaking – Silk Screen (3)
- ART 031B – Color Theory (3)
- ART 034A – Crafts – Materials and Processes (3)
- ART 040 – Introduction to Digital Arts (3) (recommended for students with no computer graphic software experience)
- ART 051B – Typography – Application (3)
- ART 118 – Advanced Rendering (3)
- BUS 002 – Personal Finance (3)
- BUS 009 – Introduction to Business (3)
- BUS 010 – Introduction to Management (3)
- BUS 011A – Business Communications (3)
- GRFX 010 – Introduction to Graphic Communications Technology (2)
- MRKT 020 – Principles of Marketing (3)
- MRKT 133 – Marketing Trends (3)
- PHOT 023A – Color Photography (3)
- PHOT 024A – Alternative Processes in Photography (3)
- PHOT 026A (CINE 026A) – Beginning Electronic Filmmaking (3)
- PHOT 026B (CINE 026B) – Intermediate Filmmaking – Electronic (3)
- PHOT 026C (CINE 026C) – Advanced Filmmaking (3)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.