The curriculum prepares the student to read, write, comprehend and speak at the intermediate level and provides knowledge of the cultures of Francophone countries.
This Certificate of Achievement consists of 16 or more units of French courses and is aligned with the ACTFL Intermediate criteria of achievement.
The proficiency guidelines are described on the following website:
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon successful completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Listening Comprehension
Demonstrate comprehension of high-novice level* conversations in French.
*See ACTFL high-novice level guidelines
- Reading Comprehension
Demonstrate comprehension of high-novice level texts in French.
Write a high-novice level paragraph in French.
Correctly ask and answer high-novice level questions in French.
- Cultural Competency
Demonstrate significant awareness of the culture of Francophone countries.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required units: 16
- FRNC 001 - Elementary French (5)
- FRNC 002 - Elementary French (5)
- FRNC 003 - Intermediate French (5)
- FRNC 004 - Intermediate French (5)
- FRNC 006 - Introduction to the Study of French and Franchophone Literature (4)
- FRNC 008A - French Conversation (2)
- FRNC 008B - French Conversation (2)
- FRNC 009A - French Conversation (2)
- FRNC 009B - French Conversation (2)
- FRNC 010 - French Civilization (2)
- FRNC 011 - Translating from French to English (2)
- FRNC 012 - French Literature in Translation (3)
- FRNC 014 - Writing in French (3)
- FRNC 015 - Reading in French (3)
- FRNC 016 - French Culture and Communication (3)
- FRNC 050 - French Cinema (3)
- FRNC 140 - French Pronunciation (2)
This Certificate of Achievement does not count as a major for an Associate Degree.