The Electrical Technology program provides leading edge technical training, which will prepare students for career opportunities in the electrical industry.
The curriculum offers technical training to acquire knowledge and skills related to the design and installation of electrical equipment, materials, devices and lighting fixtures for the Building Construction Program. Hands-on laboratory experiments will offer the necessary experience for safe use and operation of electrical hand and power tools. Technical training includes National Electrical Codes and standards. The program offers basic concepts and principles of electricity, machinery, and programming programmable logical controllers. Students will be instructed with state of the art technology test and measurement instruments.
Employment opportunities may include positions such as electrical assistant, electrical technician, maintenance technician, public utilities and sales representative, engineering technician along with purchasing and project administrator.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Describe principles of Direct and Alternating current, Ohm’s law, current/voltage/power laws both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrate an installation of a residential branch circuit for a three-way switch.
- Differentiate and apply the proper selection of materials, tools and test equipment for residential and commercial Electrical installation and repairs.
Demonstrate knowledge and skills required to perform basic apprentice-level electrician duties required by National Electrical code (NEC) for residential wiring.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
- ELTY 217 – Electrical Inspection and Codes (2)
- ELTY 248A – Introduction to Electrical Technology (4)
- ELTY 248B – Electrical Power Generation and Control Circuits (4)
- ELTY 248C – Electrical Power Distribution Systems and Machinery (4)
- ELTY 248D – Programmable Controllers/Solid State Devices/Electronic Application (4)
- ELTY 250 – Introduction to Photovoltaic Systems (4)
- ELTY 251 – Photovoltaic Theory and Installation Techniques (4)
- TECH 107A – Technical Calculations (3)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.