Biological Technology- Computational Biology
This Certificate of Achievement does not count as a major for an Associate Degree.
Today’s biotechnology companies depend on the ability of their employees to understand and use computational skills to handle large amounts of research data. This curriculum provides interdisciplinary skills required to seek employment at an entry level in performing data acquisition, management, and analysis in laboratory environments. The certificate program can also benefit working professionals seeking to advance or change their careers.
Students will learn programming, statistics, basic concepts of molecular biology, and use of bioinformatics applications and resources. The program emphasizes the skills necessary to become creative and flexible team members and leaders who can work with others in the dynamic interdisciplinary team environment found in today’s biotechnology companies.
Students in the certificate program will be required to complete a programming project in the Biology 028 class.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the fundamental concepts of molecular biology, including DNA, genes, proteins, and genomes.
- Use online resources such as NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) and bioinformatics applications to research and analyze biological data.
- Write computer programs to perform customized analyses of biological data, using statistical measures to determine the significance of results.
This program is designed to be completed in months.
This program will cost if completed within normal time. There may be additional costs for living expenses. These costs were accurate at the time of posting, but may have changed.
Of the students who completed this program within normal time, the typical graduate leaves with of debt.
For more information about graduation rates, loan repayment rates, and post-enrollment earnings about this institution and other postsecondary institutions please click here: www.collegescorecard.ed.gov.
This program has not passed standards established by the U.S. Department of Education. The Department based these standards on the amounts students borrow for enrollment in this program and their reported earnings. If in the future the program does not pass the standards, students who are then enrolled may not be able to use federal student grants or loans to pay for the program, and may have to find other ways, such as private loans, to pay for the program.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required Units: 17
- CIS 010 - Introduction to Information Systems (3)
And one of the following:
- BIOL 039 - Modern Human Genetics (4)
- BIOL 102A - Biological Technology - Basic Techniques (3)
- BIOL 102B - Biological Technology - Advanced Techniques (3)
- STAT 018 - Statistics for Behavioral and Social Sciences (4)
or STAT 050 - Elementary Statistics (4)
- CIS 036 - Introduction to Visual Basic (3)
BIOL 028 - Introduction to Bioinformatics (3)