Automotive Technology- Undercar Technician
The curriculum prepares students for entry-level employment in brake system service, suspension inspections and repair, and tire and wheel repair including 4 wheel alignment. Systems of both foreign and domestic vehicles and a wide variety of vehicle models are covered. Antilock brake systems (ABS) are discussed and service procedures are demonstrated. The use of precision equipment such as computerized alignment machines, brake disc and drum lathes, and diagnostic scan tools keep students current with the latest industry standards. All applicable machining procedures and technical calculations are covered. Students are encouraged to take the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) exams for Suspension and Steering (A4), and Brakes (A5). ASE Student Certification Examinations are administered within the program courses.
This program requires a lab fee, program uniform, and a valid driver's license. Tools are provided and are not required for the program.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Apply a practical diagnosis, service, maintenance, and repair based on theory and operation of automotive brakes, suspension, and steering systems.
- Demonstrate the safe set up and operation of automotive brakes, suspension, and steering system tools and equipment required by the automotive industry.
- Perform NATEF laboratory tasks in an acceptable amount of time in a safe and consistent manner.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required Units: 14
- AUTO 200 - Automotive Fundamentals for Technicians (4)
- AUTO 201 - Engine Operation & Testing (6)
- AUTO 206A - Basic Automotive Electrical Systems (4)
- MACH 101 - Beginning Metalworkoing Skills (3)
- MACH 220 - Machine Shop Technology (9)
- WELD 044A - Introduction to Gas Welding (1)
- WELD 200C - Semi-Automatic and Gas Tungsten Welding
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.