Japanese Associate in Arts Degree
The Japanese program offers a broad spectrum of courses, ranging from language instruction to studies of civilization, culture, literature, and the arts. Language courses focus on all four skills—reading and listening comprehension, writing, and speaking. Non-language courses provide training in critical thinking while exploring cultural and literary themes in a historical context. The purpose of this major is twofold: to develop proficiency in written and spoken communication as well as to foster an understanding and appreciation of cultural diversity. The skills acquired will prepare students to pursue careers in education, journalism, business, linguistics, art, music, and international relations.
PLEASE NOTE: The courses that universities and colleges require for transfer vary. When selecting literature and writing courses, students should consult with Counseling Services to determine the particular transfer requirements of specific transfer institutions.
- Demonstrate language skills and cultural knowledge in Japanese by submission of a portfolio of completed work.
Requirements for the AA Degree
To qualify for this degree, you must meet these requirements:
- Minimum of 60 AA units
- Minimum 2.0 GPA
- Complete the traditional AA or IGETC or CSU GE
- Complete this area of emphasis
Area of Emphasis Required Courses
Courses must be completed with a grade of “C” or better. Students must complete a minimum of eighteen (18) units selected from the courses listed below:
- JAPN 002 - Elementary Japanese (5)
- JAPN 003 - Intermediate Japanese (5)
- JAPN 004 - Intermediate Japanese (5)
- JAPN 005 - Advanced Reading and Composition (3)
- JAPN 010 - Japanese Civilization (3)
- JAPN 011 - Inside Japan (1)
- JAPN 012 Japanese Literature in Translation (3)
Limit of one course -
- JAPN 008A - Introduction to Japanese Conversation (2)
- JAPN 008B - Introduction to Japanese Conversation (2)
Limit of one course -
- JAPN 009A - Japanese Conversation (2)
- JAPN 009B - Japanese Conversation (2)
- JAPN 009C - Japanese Conversation (2)
General Education Requirements
To be eligible for an AA degree, you must complete general education requirements in addition to the area of emphasis course requirements. You choose to follow one of the following three GE Patterns:
Which GE Pattern you choose to follow is based on your transfer plans. Speak with your counselor or visit the Transfer Center to find out more about which GE Pattern to follow.