Psychology is the scientific study of human and animal behavior and mental processes, including cognition, emotion, sensation, perception and interaction. In pursuing the Associate in Arts in Psychology for Transfer Degree, students acquire skills in research, information gathering, and analytic thinking. Students majoring in psychology develop critical thinking, problem solving and written and verbal communication skills. As psychology majors, students have learning opportunities that are relevant to many types of careers, including business, education, government, nonprofit organizations and within health and human services etc.
The Associate in Arts in Psychology for Transfer degree requirements:
1. Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University.
2. The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements.
3. A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
4. Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
5. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.
6. A “P” (Pass) grade is not acceptable grade for courses in the major. (Students completing this degree are not required to fulfill additional local graduation requirements.)
Associate in Arts in Psychology for Transfer Degree
REQUIRED COURSES (11 UNITS)
- PSYC 001 — Introductory Psychology (3)
or PSYC 001H - Honors Introductory Psychology (3)
- PSYC 005 — Research Methods in Psychology (4)
- STAT 015 — Statistics for Business and Economics (4)
or STAT 018 — Statistics for Behavioral and Social Sciences (4)
or STAT 050 — Elementary Statistics (4)
or STAT 050H — Honors Elementary Statistics (4)
LIST A: SELECT ONE COURSE FROM BELOW(3-4 UNITS)
- BIOL 003 — Topics in Human Biology (4)
- BIOL 011 — General Biology (4)
or BIOL 011H — Honors General Biology (4)
- PSYC 002 — Elementary Physiological Psychology (3)
LIST B: SELECT ONE COURSE FROM BELOW (3 UNITS)
- PSYC 021 — Developmental Psychology: The Child (3)
or PSYC 021H - Honors Developmental Psychology: The Child (3)
- PSYC 022 — Developmental Psychology: The Adult (3)
- PSYC 024 — Lifespan Developmental Psychology (3)
LIST C: SELECT ONE COURSE (3 UNITS)
- PSYC 003 — Abnormal Psychology (3)
- PSYC 023 — Social Psychology (3)
- PSYC 025 — Human Sexuality (3)
- PSYC 029 — Psychology of the Afro-American (3)
- PSYC 031 — Studies in Chicano Behavior (3)
- PSYC 033 — Psychology of Personal and Social Adjustment (3)
- PSYC 041 — Psychology of the Asian American (3)
REQUIRED SUBTOTAL.................................................................. 20-21
CSU General Education or IGETC Pattern..................................... 39-37
Transferable Electives (as needed to reach 60 transferable units)
DEGREE TOTAL ................................................................................. 60
Student Learning Outcomes
Using (and/or applying) basic terms, facts, principles, and theories, explain (and/or demonstrate the understanding of) behavior and cognitive processes, drawing from historically important, relevant cross-cultural, and contemporary perspectives, including biological, cognitive, behavioral, psychodynamic, and socio-cultural approaches.2.
Compare and distinguish between scientific and non-scientific approaches to the study of behavior, and evaluate the strength of evidence offered in support of a given hypothesis, theory or conclusion, using terminology and elements of the scientific method.
Given a topic in psychology, research and apply psychological concepts and theories to scientific and/or popular media in a written or oral report.
Explain ethical principles in psychological research and practice in an increasingly diverse world.
Explain career alternatives within the field of psychology, and an awareness of how a background in psychology relates to various careers outside of psychology, toward making informed career choices.
- Required Subtotal: 20-21
- CSU General Education or IGETC Pattern: 37-39
- Transferable Electives (as needed to reach 60 transferable units)
- DEGREE TOTAL: 60