The Associate in Arts in Geography for Transfer degree provides students with a foundation in Geography for continued training at the upper division level for Geography majors. Is also provides students a foundation for majors in environmental science, geology, geographic information systems, and natural sciences. Geography majors are increasingly needed to understand environmental changes and human impacts on the environment. Earning a degree in geography is a starting point for careers as surveyors, cartographers and photogrammetrists, surveying and mapping technicians, urban and regional planners, and geoscientists.
The Associate in Arts in Geography for Transfer degree requirements:
- Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University.
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
- All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.
- A “P” (Pass) grade is not acceptable grade for courses in the major. (Students completing this degree are not required to fulfill additional local graduation requirements.)
All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of “C” or better. (Students completing this degree are not required to fulfill additional PCC graduation requirements.)
Associate in Arts in Geography for Transfer Degree
- GEOG 001 – Physical Geography (3)
- GEOG 001L – Physical Geography Lab (1)
- GEOG 002 – Cultural Geography (3)
LIST A: Select two to three (6-9)
- GEOG 003 – World Regional Geography (3)
- GEOG 011 – Introduction to Geographic Systems (3)
- GEOG 004 – Introduction to Weather and Climate (3)
- GEOG 030 – Field Studies and Methods in Geography (1)
LIST B: Select two (6 units)
- GEOL 012 - Physical Oceanography (3)
- GEOL 001 – Physical Geology (4)
- ANTH 002 – Cultural Anthropology (3)
or ANTH 002H – Cultural Anthropology Honors (3)
Student Learning Outcomes
- Develop the ability to analyze and interpret geographic data.
- Increase global awareness and multicultural literacy.
- Develop an understanding of the usefulness of geography to real world problems.
- Required for Major: 19-24
- CSU General Education or CSU IGETC Pattern: 37-39
- Degree Total: 60