The Associate in Arts in Geography for Transfer degree provides students with a foundation in Geography for continued training at the upper division level for Geography majors. Is also provides students a foundation for majors in environmental science, geology, geographic information systems, and natural sciences. Geography majors are increasingly needed to understand environmental changes and human impacts on the environment. Earning a degree in geography is a starting point for careers as surveyors, cartographers and photogrammetrists, surveying and mapping technicians, urban and regional planners, and geoscientists.
The Associate in Arts in Geography for Transfer degree requirements:
- Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University.
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
- All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of “C” or better, or P if the course is graded on a P/NP basis
All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of “C” or better. (Students completing this degree are not required to fulfill additional PCC graduation requirements.)
Associate in Arts in Geography for Transfer Degree
- GEOG 001 – Physical Geography (3)
- GEOG 001L – Physical Geography Lab (1)
- GEOG 002 – Cultural Geography (3)
LIST A: Select two to three (6-9)
- GEOG 003 – World Regional Geography (3)
- GEOG 011 – Introduction to Geographic Systems (3)
- GEOG 004 – Introduction to Weather and Climate (3)
- GEOG 030 – Field Studies and Methods in Geography (1)
LIST B: Select two (6 units)
- GEOL 012 - Physical Oceanography (3)
- GEOL 001 – Physical Geology (4)
- ANTH 002 – Cultural Anthropology (3)
or ANTH 002H – Cultural Anthropology Honors (3)
Student Learning Outcomes
- Develop the ability to analyze and interpret geographic data.
- Increase global awareness and multicultural literacy.
- Develop an understanding of the usefulness of geography to real world problems.
- Required for Major: 19-24
- CSU General Education or CSU IGETC Pattern: 37-39
- Degree Total: 60