The Associate in Science in Biology for Transfer provides student with a foundation in the biological and physical sciences for upper division in course work in the biological sciences or related fields. The Associate in Science in Biology for Transfer is designed to provide students a clear transfer pathway to the CSU within the biology major and the completion of baccalaureate degree, with guaranteed admission to a CSU to a similar major with junior standing, and the ability to complete their remaining requirements within 60 semester or 90 quarter units.
The biological sciences have a wide range of career choices available. Earning a degree in Biology is a starting point for careers in the biological sciences, biomedical sciences, biotechnology, environmental biology, agriculture and other related fields.
Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements
- 60 semester or 90 quarter CSU-transferable units.
- the California State University-General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE-Breadth); OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern.
- a minimum of 18 semester or 27 quarter units in the major or area of emphasis as determined by the community college district.
- obtainment of a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0.
- earn a grade of C or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis.
- Create scientific presentations and/or papers based on the students’ own novel experimental findings and research.
- Recognize biological problems, propose testable solutions, and implement those tests through diverse methods.
- Ability to analyze and summarize data and to infer conclusions based on those data.
- Apply appropriate technological and computational tools to solve biological problems.
- Diagnose and classify biological diversity, and understand of the functions and interactions of the components of diversity in ecosystems.
REQUIRED CORE (10 units)
- BIOL 010A - Cellular Biology and Genetics (5)
- BIOL 010B - The Diversity of Life on Earth (5)
LIST A: (23 units)
- CHEM 001A - General Chemistry and Chemical Analysis I (5)
and CHEM 001B - General Chemistry and Chemical Analysis II (5)
- MATH 005A - Single Variable Calculus (5)
- PHYS 002A - General Physics I (4)
and PHYS 002B - General Physics II (4)
- Required Subtotal: 33 units
- CSU General Education or CSU IGETC Pattern: 31-33
- DEGREE TOTAL: 60 units