Digital Media - Foundation
Completion of the Digital Media - Foundation Certificate will prepare students for entry-level employment in graphic design, interactive design, web design, motion graphic design, and/or other related occupations. Students will establish a strong foundation in both the technical and artistic aspects of the digital media industry. This one-year foundation program will emphasize production processes, creativity, problem solving, visual design thinking, project management, and collaborative teamwork.
All courses in this certificate require literacy and proficiency in writing and math. Projects require written, oral, and visual presentations as well as the application of basic math principles and skills.
An Occupational Skills Certificate is awarded upon successful completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
Students will be assessed on their ability to
- Apply the elements and principles of design in finished digital images and time-based works.
- Produce digital images and time-based work through various digital media input and output methods.
- Examine and describe contemporary approaches, language, aesthetics in digital media.
- Evaluate and critique digital images and time-based media works utilizing relevant terminology and concepts.
- Demonstrate competence in the use of tools, materials, and concepts for creating original art and design projects.
Requirements for the Occupational Skills Certificate
Required Units: 15
- ART 011A - Foundation Drawing (3)
- ART 031A - Color and Composition-Two Dimensional Design (3)
- PHOT 031 - Beginning Digital Photography (3)
- ART 040 - Introduction to Digital Arts (3)
or ART 050A - Introduction to Graphic Design & Advertising (3)
- ART 056 - Introduction to Digital Painting & Drawing (3)
- ART 001A - History of Western Art-Prehistoric through Medieval (3)