The Commercial Music Occupational Skills Certificate prepares students for employment in a variety of commercial music and music production settings such as sound designer assistant, sound editor assistant, automation dialogue replacement assistant and sound recordists. They will gain skills in applying musical skills in audio production, audio signal flow, using recording equipment, signal processing and audio editing and post-production.
An Occupational Skills Certificate is awarded upon successful completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Demonstrate conventional, industry-standard recording techniques including microphone selection and placement.
- Demonstrate proficiency in multi-track recording production by recording multi-track sessions that are enhanced with the use of compiled play-lists, quantization and elastic audio.
- Demonstrate proficiency in audio post-production by mixing a multi-track recording session so that elements of the mix are clear, and the frequency range, stereo width, and perception of depth/dynamics are all to industry standards.
Requirements for the Occupational Skills Certificate
Required Units: 16.5
- MUSC 093A – Introduction to the Music Business and Entrepreneurship (2)
- MUSC 096A – Introduction to Music Recording and Production (3.5)
- MUSC 096B – Music Recording & Production Applications (3.5)
- MUSC 096C – Music Recording & Production Workshop (3.5)
4 units from the following:
- MUSC 034A – Jazz Keyboard Skills (2)
- MUSC 034B – Advanced Jazz Keyboard Skills (2)
- MUSC 036A – Pop-Jazz Theory (3)
- MUSC 036B – Jazz-Commercial Theory (3)
- MUSC 041A – First Year Piano (2)
- MUSC 071A – Voice Techniques (1)
- MUSC 083A – Beginning Guitar (1)
- MUSC 105 – Popular Songwriting (3)
- MUSC 112A – Electric Bass Techniques (2)
- MUSC 112B – Electric Bass Repertoire (2)
- MUSC 115 – Contemporary Guitar Techniques (1)
- MUSC 116 – Drum Set Techniques (1)
- MUSC 117 – Rhythm Section Techniques (2)
- MUSC 121 – Latin Percussion Techniques (2)
- MUSC 144 – Introduction to Improvisation (1)
- MUSC 171A – Techniques of Popular Singing (2)
- MUSC 171B – Techniques of Popular Singing (2)
- MUSC 171C – Vocal Jazz Performance Techniques (1)