Child Development - School Age Instructional Assistant
The Instructional Assistant curriculum provides students with the necessary skills to seek employment working with school age children. Opportunities are available for work in a variety of settings including: parks and recreational facilities, before and after school programs, tutoring centers, public and private schools, and community agencies providing services for school age children and their families. The program focuses on child psychology, discipline techniques, curriculum planning, developmentally appropriate practices, safety, anti-bias environment, along with practical experience. CPR, First-aid training, TB and fingerprint clearances are required.
An Occupational Skills Certificate is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Demonstrate through original written and/or oral presentations the ability to identify the theories and practices of the social, emotional, cognitive and physical developmental areas of the school age child.
- Demonstrate an awareness of and evaluate the important factors in planning an educational program , addressing diversity, ethical issues and developmentally appropriate practices in working with the school age child.
- Compare and contrast the skills necessary to support program practices for the school age child.
Requirements for the Occupational Skills Certificate
Required Units: 16
- EDUC 131 - Introduction to the School-Age Child (3)
- EDUC 132 - Curriculum for School-Age Children (3)
- CHDV 015 - Child, Family and Community
- CHDV 020 - Introduction to Curriculum Planning (3)
- CHDV 013A - Practicum in Child Development-A (2)
CHDV 013AF - Field Practice in Child Development-A (2)
- CHDV 016 - Health, Safety and Nutrition (3)
- CHDV 017 - Teaching Children in a Diverse Society (3)
- CHDV 024A - Special Topics in Child Development-Health and Safety (2)
- CHDV 024B - Special Topics in Child Development-Curriculum (2)
- CHDV 024C - Special Topics in Child Development-The Young Child (2)
- CHDV 024D - Special Topics in Child Development-Working with Parents (2)
- CHDV 024E - Special Topics in Child Development-Multicultural Issues (2)
- CHDV 024F - Special Topics in Child Development-Discipline (2)
- CHDV 024G - Special Topics in Child Development-Environment (2)
- CHDV 024H - Special Topics in Child Development-Administration (2)
- CHDV 118 - Language and Literacy in Early Childhood (3)
- EDUC 030 - Teaching as a Profession (3)
- ENGL 059 - Children's Literature (3)
- MUSC 030 - Music for Early Childhood Education (3)
- MUSC 130 - Music Education for Young Children (3)
- KINT 027C - Early Childhood Physical Education (2)
- ART 006 - Art Media for Early Childhood Education (3)
*This class meets the CPR and First-Aid requirements.