Computer Information Systems - Programming
The curriculum prepares students with entry-level skills to seek employment in programming. Emphasis will be on providing students with practical experience in utilizing at least two programming languages. Instruction will cover such topics as operating systems, applications and common programming languages. Students must be willing to spend considerable time outside of class working on assignments.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Demonstrate an understanding of computer programming constructs and be able to write programming code in several programming languages to solve a business problem.
- Design and layout the sequence of steps to solve a problem using appropriate tools and charts.
- Write program code using the syntax of the programming language skills obtained during the course of this program.
- Test program code, using different sets of data.
- Maintain documentation to communicate the purpose of the program steps.
- Present E-Portfolio to showcase skills necessary to qualify for an entry-level programming job.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required units: 22
- CIS 010 – Introduction to Information Systems (3)
- CIS 012 – Introduction to Programming (3)
- CIS 062 – Introduction to Systems Analysis (3)
- CIS 014 – C++ Programming (3)
- CIS 036 – Introduction to Visual Basic (3)
- CIS 016 – Java Programming (3)
- CIS 020 – Independent Study (1)
- CIS 038 – Advanced Visual Basic (3)
- CIS 011 – Information and Communication Technology Essentials (4)
- CIS 030 – Networks and Telecommunications (3)
- ENGL 100 – Reading and Writing Skills (4)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.