Electrical Technology - Photovoltaic Design and Installation
This program provides a comprehensive introduction to solar photovoltaic (PV) energy systems, including system sizing, design and installation. Basic electrical theories and National Electrical Code related to photovoltaic will be studied. Hands-on experiments and laboratory assignments with state-of-the-art test instruments will provide testing and troubleshooting techniques. Successful participants will also be qualified to sit for the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) “PV Installer Entry Level Certificate of Knowledge” examination.
Employment opportunities may include positions such as photovoltaic installer, inspector, electrical assistant, electrical technician, maintenance technician, public utilities and sales representative, engineering technician along with purchasing and project administrator.
An Occupational Skills Certificate is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Explain residential and commercial photovoltaic system terminology and installation techniques both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrate an apprentice-level installation of a residential rooftop photovoltaic system
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills required to install basic ground and pole mount photovoltaic systems
- Differentiate and apply the proper selection of materials, tools and test equipment for residential photovoltaic system installation and repairs.
- Demonstrate the use of the Sun pathfinder calculator for shading analysis
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
- ELTY 248A - Introduction to Electrical Technology (4)
- ELTY 248B - Electrical Power Generation and Control Circuits (4)
- ELTY 250 - Introduction to Photovoltaic Systems (4)
- ELTY 251 - Photovoltaic Theory and Installation Techniques (4)
- ELTY 217 - Electrical Inspection and Codes (2)
- Bldg 212 - Print Reading for Construction (3)
- Tech 107A - Technical Calculations (3)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.