The Music Entrepreneurship Certificate at PCC is designed to embolden music students towards successful and sustainable careers in a rapidly changing artistic and business climate. In this program, students gain a portfolio of practical business-oriented skills as well as skills critical to the current musician like audio and video editing, effective music notation, concert or recital planning and the management of teaching studios. The program also develops entrepreneurial, creative, and collaborative skills, and can be completed on its own or in conjunction with a traditional music degree.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Accurately describe current and emerging trends in the music industry, including new and emerging career trajectories.
- Exhibit flexibility with, and creative use, of audio, visual, musical and internet technology for use in the creation and promotion of their professional output.
- Develop effective business correspondence, such as business plans, marketing materials, and the like.
- Demonstrate an understanding of personal financial skills and the essential business skills required for a career in the music industry.
- Create a portfolio-level project, such as a recital, recording project, music video or business plan, that demonstrates skills in project planning, business, music, technology and entrepreneurship.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required units: 33-35
Required Core - 11 Units
- MUSC 001A - Music Theory I (3)
- MUSC 002A - Musicianship I (1)
- MUSC 094 - Intro to Music Technology for Musicians (3)
- MUSC 093A - Introduction to the Music Business and Entrepreneurship (2)
- MUSC 099 - Music Entrepreneurship Practicum (2)
(4 - 6 units)
- MUSC 001B - Music Theory II (3)
- MUSC 002B - Musicianship II (1)
or MUSC 036A - Pop-Jazz Theory (3)
or MUSC 093B - The Music Business (2)
Minimum 18 units
- ART 098 - Web Design and Development (3)
- BUS 002 - Personal Finance (3)
- BUS 116 - Entrepreneurship (3)
- EDUC 030 - Teaching as a Profession (3)
- MRKT 150 - Social Media Marketing For Business (3)
- MUSC 004A - Keyboard Skills I (1)
- MUSC 012 - Introduction to Music Composition (3)
- MUSC 030 - Music for Early Childhood Education (3)
- MUSC 032 – Introduction to Music Education (2)
- MUSC 034A - Jazz Keyboard Skills (2)
- MUSC 035 - Music Preparation and Music Copying (2)
- MUSC 036A - Pop-Jazz Theory (3)
- MUSC 036B - Jazz-Commercial Theory (3)
- MUSC 093B - The Music Business (2)
- MUSC 096A - Introduction to Music Recording and Production (3.5)
- MUSC 096B - Music Recording and Production Applications (3.5)
- MUSC 096C - Music Recording & Production Workshop (3.5)
- MUSC 171B - Intermediate Techniques of Popular Singing (2)
- MUSC 116 - Drum Set Techniques (2)
- MUSC 117 - Rhythm Section Techniques (2)
- MUSC 129A - Music in Multimedia (3)
- TVR 004 - Beginning Single Camera Production (3)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.