The curriculum prepares students to work in the dynamic information-based world of libraries. Highly skilled paraprofessionals are needed for various levels of employment in public, academic, special and school libraries and information centers. Practical Instruction is offered in all phases of library services and provides training and use of automated systems (public access catalogs, cataloging, circulation, database and Web search techniques, and the World Wide Web).
Program courses meet once a week in the evening or on Saturday morning, with additional online coursework.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
1. Discuss principles, philosophy and roles of library organizations and summarize ethical, legal and social issues related to libraries and the communities they serve.
2. Apply knowledge and demonstrate library workplace skills to perform library technician-level job duties in various types of libraries.
3. Demonstrate effective public service, technology and workplace communication skills to successfully interact with library users and staff.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
- LIB 001 COLLEGE RESEARCH SKILLS
- BIT 025 SURVEY OF COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY IN BUSINESS
or BIT 106 BUSINESS SOFTWARE-INTRODUCTION TO MICROSOFT OFFICE SYSTEM
or CIS 001 INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTERS
or CIS 010 INTRODUCTION TO INFORMATION SYSTEMS
- LIB 101 INTRODUCTION TO LIBRARY SERVICES FOR PARAPROFESSIONALS
- LIB 103 INTRODUCTION TO LIBRARY ACCESS SERVICES
- LIB 104 LIBRARY TECHNICAL SERVICES: ACQUISITIONS AND COLLECTION DEVELOPMENT
- LIB 102 INTRODUCTION TO REFERENCE SERVICES
- LIB 105A DESCRIPTIVE CATALOGING PROCEDURES IN ONLINE ENVIRONMENTS
- LIB 106 LIBRARY TECHNOLOGY INTERNSHIP
- CHDV 118 LANGUAGE ARTS AND LITERACY FOR YOUNG CHILDREN
- LIB 020 LIBRARY INDEPENDENT STUDY
- SPCH 010 INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATIONS
CHDV 024C SPECIAL TOPICS IN CHILD DEVELOPMENT -THE YOUNG CHILD
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.