This Certifcate of Achievement does not count as a major for an Associate Degree.
The Library Technology Program prepares students for entry level Library Assistant and more specialized higher-level Library Technician positions in all types of libraries under the supervision of a librarian. Coursework includes hands-on instruction in library operations and services, including training in the use of specialized automated library systems, library service principles, and essential workplace customer service, technology, and workplace communication skills. The program highlights job-related skills and practices needed to enter and succeed in the library workplace as well as continuing education opportunities for those currently employed. PCC’s Certificate of Achievement program is aligned with the American Library Association’s Library Support Staff Certification (LSSC - http://ala-apa.org/lssc/).
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
1. Articulate library principles, roles, and service issues related to the diverse communities libraries serve.
2. Demonstrate library workplace skills by performing various library technician job duties.
3. Demonstrate understanding of successful library service by analyzing library staff interactions with library users.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
- LIB 001 College Research Skills (1)
- LIB 101 Introduction to Library Services for Paraprofessionals (3)
- LIB 102 Introduction to Reference Services (3)
- LIB 103 Introduction to Library Access Services (3)
- LIB 104 Introduction to Library Technical Services (3)
- LIB 105A Descriptive Cataloging Procedures in Online Environments (3)
One of the following courses:
- BIT 025 Survey of Computer Technology in Business (3)
- BIT 106 Business Software - Introduction to Microsoft Office System (3)
- CIS 001 Introduction to Computers (3)
- LIB 020 Independent Study (1)
- LIB 106 Library Technology Internship (1)
- CHDV 011 Infant and Toddler Development (1)
- CHDV 024C Special Topics in Child Development - The Young Child (2)
- CHDV 118 Language and Literacy in Early Childhood (3)
- PLGL 145A Legal Research (3)
- PLGL 145B Computer Aided Research (1)
- SPCH 010 Interpersonal Communication (3)