Speech Communication Associate in Arts Degree
A degree in Speech Communication from Pasadena City College prepares students for upper division (advanced level) coursework and several entry level positions within the field. This area of emphasis is primarily intended to prepare students to transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree in Speech Communication or Communication Studies. Students develop verbal, nonverbal and interpersonal communication skills, apply critical thinking skills, and learn about human communication in multiple contexts. The Speech Communication major helps students to improve their relationship skills in both personal and professional life as well as prepares them for advancements in their careers.
PLEASE NOTE: The courses that universities and colleges require for transfer vary. When selecting courses for transfer purposes, students should consult with Counseling Services to determine the particular transfer requirements of specific transfer institutions.
- Articulate the role of communication in multiple contexts.
- Demonstrate competencies for ethical communication.
- Critically analyze various communication practices.
- Demonstrate effective verbal, nonverbal and written communication in diverse forms and contexts.
Requirements for the AA Degree
To qualify for this degree, you must meet these requirements:
- Minimum of 60 AA units
- Minimum 2.0 GPA
- Complete the traditional AA or IGETC or CSU GE
- Complete this area of emphasis
Area of Emphasis Required Courses
All courses must be completed with a grade of C or better. All courses must be numbered 001-099.
Students must compete all of the following:
- SPCH 001 - Fundamentals of Speech (3)
- SPCH 006 - Argumentation and Debate (3)
- SPCH 010 - Interpersonal Communication (3)
Students must complete at least 9 additional units from the following courses:
- SPCH 002 - Persuasion (3)
- SPCH 003 - Voice and Diction (3)
- SPCH 004 - Oral Interpretation (3)
- SPCH 005 - Forensics – Speech and Debate Team (3)
- SPCH 005A - Forensics Research and Preparation (Speech and Debate Team) (3)
- SPCH 008 - Readers’ Theater (3)
- SPCH 009 - Commination and Group Leadership (3)
- SPCH 012 - Argumentation and Critical Thinking (3)
- SPCH 013 - Introduction to Speech Communication (3)
General Education Requirements
To be eligible for an AA degree, you must complete general education requirements in addition to the area of emphasis course requirements. You choose to follow one of the following three GE Patterns:
Which GE Pattern you choose to follow is based on your transfer plans. Speak with your counselor or visit the Transfer Center to find out more about which GE Pattern to follow.
Visit the Speech Website for a recommended course sequence.