Business Associate in Arts Degree
This area of emphasis is primarily intended to prepare students to transfer to a university and earn a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration. The study of Business gives the student an understanding of the social and economic environment in which we live and provides a common body of knowledge for all students who specialize in any business field. It is the purpose of this area of emphasis to develop in students the interpersonal, technical, and managerial competence necessary for successful performance in business, industry, government, and education.
PLEASE NOTE: The courses that universities and colleges require for transfer vary. When selecting courses for transfer purposes, students should consult with Counseling Services to determine the particular transfer requirements of specific transfer institutions.
- Demonstrate a productive working knowledge of the basic functions of a business enterprise, including: accounting, entrepreneurship, economics, business law, finance, human resource management, ethics and marketing.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the communication process in a business and professional setting, including: written, oral, non-verbal, electronic communication, and active listening.
Requirements for the AA Degree
To qualify for this degree, you must meet these requirements:
- Minimum of 60 AA units
- Minimum 2.0 GPA
- Complete the traditional AA or IGETC or CSU GE
- Complete this area of emphasis
Area of Emphasis Required Courses
Courses must be completed with a grade of C or better. All courses must be numbered 001-099. Students must complete at least 18 units chosen from the courses listed below:
- ACCT 001A - Financial Accounting (4)
- ACCT 001B - Managerial Accounting (4)
- ACCT 010 - Bookkeeping - Accounting (4)
- BIT 025 - Survey of Computer Technology in Business (3)
or CIS 001- Introduction to Computers (3)
or CIS 010 - Introduction to Information Systems (3)
- BUS 002 - Personal Finance (3)
- BUS 009 - Introduction to Business (3)
- BUS 010 - Introduction to Management (3)
- BUS 011A - Business Communications (3)
- BUS 012A - Business Law (3)
- BUS 012B - Business Law Transactions & Organizations (3)
- BUS 014A - Mathematical Analysis for Business Finite (4)
- BUS 014B - Mathematical Analysis for Business – Calculus (4)
- BUS 016 - Office Machines (2)
- ECON 001A- Principles of Economics (3)
- ECON 001B - Principles of Economics (3)
- MATH 005A - Single Variable Calculus (5)
- STAT 015 - Statistics for Business and Economics (4)
or STAT 050 - Elementary Statistics (4)
General Education Requirements
To be eligible for an AA degree, you must complete general education requirements in addition to the area of emphasis course requirements. You choose to follow one of the following three GE Patterns:
Which GE Pattern you choose to follow is based on your transfer plans. Speak with your counselor or visit the Transfer Center to find out more about which GE Pattern to follow.