Adult High School Diploma (AHSD)
It's never too late to earn your High School Diploma. Continue and complete your high school education through our Adult High School Diploma Program.
Our program is approved by the California Community College Chancellor's Office and provides a comprehensive education, with courses in English, Mathematics, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Natural Sciences, Humanities, and a selection of electives.
Note: Adult High School Diploma courses have restrictions. Your placement in courses will be based on the assessment process.Watch Our Video For More Information
Complete the following courses to graduate and earn your diploma!
You must complete 160 course credits in the following subjects. The number of AHSD
courses required for each category will vary from student to student depending on
coursework completed at previous high school(s)/college(s), if any, and work/volunteer,
and/or military experience, which may be counted as elective credits.
- AHSD 6400 Practical English Skills (5 credits)
- AHSD 6409 Introduction to Creative Writing (5 credits)
- AHSD 6401 Fundamentals of Grammar A (5 credits)
- AHSD 6402 Fundamentals of Grammar B (5 credits)
- AHSD 6403 Essentials in Writing A (5 credits)
- AHSD 6404 Essentials in Writing B (5 credits)
- AHSD 6407 Reading Fundamentals (5 credits)
- AHSD 6408 Introduction to Multicultural Literature (5 credits)
- AHSD 6421 Math Basics (5 credits)
- AHSD 6422 Mathematics Pre-Algebra (5 credits)
- AHSD 6423 Algebra IA (5 credits)
- AHSD 6424 Algebra IB (5 credits)
- AHSD 6425 Introduction to Geometry (5 credits)
- AHSD 6411 U.S. History: Pre-Colonialism to the Civil War (5 credits)
- AHSD 6412 U.S. History: Reconstruction to Present (5 credits)
- AHSD 6413 Introduction to American Government (5 credits)
- AHSD 6414 Introduction to Economics (5 credits)
- AHSD 6415 Contemporary American Social Issues (5 credits)
- AHSD 6416 Global Affairs (5 credits)
AHSD 6417 World Geography (5 credits)
- AHSD 6426 Life Science- Biology (5 credits)
- AHSD 6427 Life Science- Physiology (5 credits)
- AHSD 6428 Physical Science- Chemistry (5 credits)
- AHSD 6429 Physical Science- Physics (5 credits)
- AHSD 6430 Environmental Science- Ecology (5 credits)
- AHSD 6432 Art History (5 credits)
- AHSD 6436 Music Appreciation (5 credits)
- AHSD 6439 Contemporary Spanish (5 credits)
Electives (45 credits)
- AHSD 6400 Practical English Skills (5 credits) Meets English and/or elective requirements.
- AHSD 6409 Introduction to Creative Writing (5 credits) Meets English and/or elective requirements.
- AHSD 6430 Environmental Science- Ecology (5 credits) Meets Natural Science and/or elective requirements.
- AHSD 6431 Technology Skills for Academic Success (5 credits)
- AHSD 6435 Health (5 credits)
- AHSD 6437 Digital Art & Design (5 credits) Meets Humanities and/or elective requirements.
- A total of 4.5 years of work experience or volunteer experience can qualify for elective credits. Credit may be given to the student on a case per case basis. Ask your counselor for details.
Adult High School Diploma courses have restrictions and you will not be able to register without completing Noncredit Orientation, Placement tests, and meeting with a Counselor. Your placement will be based on the assessment process which includes information such as your high school grades, test scores, work experience, and other multiple measures. A Counselor may recommend placement at the level which meets your needs. Go to Noncredit Orientation, Assessment/Placement, and Meet with a Counselor, for information about these requirements.
Please note: Adult High School Diploma placement test scores are valid for 2 years. You do not need to retake tests if your scores are still valid.
A minimum of 20 credits must be completed in residency at PCC; this means that you take a minimum of four, (5) credit courses. To graduate from the Adult High School Diploma (AHSD) Program from Pasadena City College, you must complete a minimum of four (4) AHSD courses at the PCC Noncredit Division. You may use PCC credit courses to count towards residency, however, at least (1) course must be an AHSD course. Only one class challenge can be applied for residency requirements.
To earn your Adult High School Diploma from Pasadena City College, you will need to complete 160 credits in the required courses of study. Students are awarded a High School Diploma upon completion of the course of study prescribed by the State of California and the Pasadena Area Community College District.
Once you have completed and passed all of the required courses, submit the petition form "Petition for Adult High School Diploma"
Steps to Get Started
Use the guide below to start taking classes in the Adult High School Diploma program. For more detailed instructions, go to How to Take Noncredit Classes.
- Check course availability in Schedule of Classes
To find Adult High School Diploma courses in the class schedule, look for the subject “Adult High School Diploma”.