Under general supervision, to perform skilled and unskilled duties in maintenance and repair of building and mechanical trades, and to do related work as required.
Incumbents initially perform semi-skilled and skilled tasks as helpers to journeymen, and often are assigned more difficult duties with less supervision as they gain experience. The variety of skilled tasks and the ability to do; unusual skilled tasks is less than for a journeyman working in the same specialty. In certain craft areas the work requires workers at this level only.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Performs routine and semi-skilled tasks of maintenance and repair work or a limited variety of skilled tasks which include, but are not limited to, installing chain link fencing, changing ballast, changing faucets and flush valve washers; replacing piping, sanding and preparing surface for painting, rough carpentry, installing cabinet type hardware, applying roof coatings, mixing concrete, erecting metal cabinets and shelving, replacing fluorescent lamp tubes, lamps, diffusers and lenses, cleaning lenses and diffusers, and changing filters.
- Assists in handling materials and equipment, and moving equipment. May use pick, shovel, and wheelbarrow when required.
- Makes observations and reports finding or takes action based on specific instructions.
- Inspects and troubleshoots problems; corrects problems alone or requests assistance if needed.
- May drive a truck and cleans up areas after completion of jobs.
- Assists in various trades as required.
- At the request of a supervisor, performs variety of unscheduled duties normally and traditionally performed by a Maintenance Worker.
Education and Experience: Three years of experience doing semi-skilled trades work
or working as a helper in one or more of the building or mechanical trades.
Knowledge and Abilities: Knowledge of standard practices of one or more of the building trades including materials, tools, and procedures. Ability to use and care for tools of the trade; ability to work from standard plans and specifications and to follow oral and written instructions; ability to work cooperatively with others; and ability to work in a multi-ethnic environment.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: A valid California Driver License is required.
NOTE: Eligibility is determined by a review of the following:
- Performance tests
- Reference checks
- Medical history
A pre-employment physical examination is required. Cost of physical will be paid by Pasadena City College
Lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 75 pounds, pushing and pulling, walking and standing for extended periods of time, dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a variety of hand and power tools, reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally, and kneeling or crouching.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: Six months.
Pasadena City College
1570 East Colorado Boulevard, Pasadena, CA 91106
(626) 585-7361 direct ⋅ (626) 525-7924 fax