The Systems Support Specialist, under the supervision of the Director, Management Information Services, monitors the performance of the Management Information Services' computer systems, networks and data bases for their proper day‑to‑day functioning. This includes any systems or script‑level programming necessary to ensure the proper functioning of these computer systems and networks. Acts as the preliminary contact for system level and MIS related network problem resolution. (MIS manages Hewlett Packard 3000, Microsoft Windows NT/2000, SUN Solaris, and Novell Netware systems.)
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- Assists in the preparation of the procedures required for data file backup, including rotation of data backup storage and maintenance of update data to provide for recovery, if necessary.
- Prepares system reports on central computer usage.
- Monitors and assists in maintaining the systems to maintain the integrity and security of all user data.
- As coordinated by the Director, MIS, may modify data base structures or update production data bases due to new system requirements or enhancements established by Systems and Programming.
- Assists appropriate Systems Specialist in controlling the systems and acts as appropriate systems specialist in that person's absence.
- Assists in the evaluation of new operating systems and network software and hardware and aids in the decision concerning its appropriateness for the installation and the requested functionality.
- Assists in the installation coordination of central computers and central computer networks.
- Performs any systems or script programming required for the proper operations of the central computers and central computer networks.
- As coordinated by the Director, MIS, assists the appropriate Systems Specialist or Application Support Specialist in the preparation for and the subsequent installation of new releases of operating systems, updated application software and new systems or applications software.
- Assists the operations or production staff as appropriate to ensure the proper operations of the central computers and central computer networks. This includes working as backup in either of these areas.
- At the request of the Director, MIS, shall perform a variety of unscheduled duties normally and traditionally performed by a Systems Support Specialist.
Education and Experience: Associate degree in computer science or closely related field. Training in the systems management of Hewlett Packard 3000 series computer systems, or equivalent, and training in networked minicomputers and servers.
Knowledge and Abilities
Four years experience working in a production data processing environment consisting of multiple networked minicomputers and/or servers. At least two years experience as a System Operator in one or more of the following platforms: Hewlett-Packard 3000, Microsoft Windows NT/2000 Server, Novell Netware, SUN Solaris. (Can be concurrent with production experience.) At least one year experience in System Manager duties. (Can be concurrent with production experience.) Two years experience in the installation and maintenance of networked minicomputers and servers. (Can be concurrent with production experience.) Experience in the principles and techniques of information systems development. Ability to work in a multiethnic environment.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS: Experience in an interactive and batch Hewlett Packard 3000 environment. Experience within an educational institution.
Seeing to inspect written documents, communicate with District staff, sitting for extended periods of time, bending, kneeling and reaching to retrieve and file records, and dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a keyboard and other office equipment.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: One year.
Pasadena City College
1570 East Colorado Boulevard, Pasadena, CA 91106
(626) 585-7361 direct ⋅ (626) 525-7924 fax