CBA DESIGNATION: Represented
Under the general direction of the Director of Public Relations, incumbents perform a variety of duties related to the maintenance of the College's 16-sport athletics website by producing, writing and editing sports press releases chronicling events, accomplishments, milestones and other news related to the college's intercollegiate sports teams.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES: (Illustrative Only)
- Produces, researches, writes, and edits the athletic program's website for Pasadena City College, to include information for the website on all intercollegiate sports teams, as well as various alumni accomplishments, and historical achievements, milestones of student-athletes, coaches and staff;
- Writes daily sports releases on the all teams and disseminates the information to various mass media organizations;
- Updates and inputs team rosters, schedules and coaching biographies; maintains the daily team record board, posts games, matches and meet results, scores and statistics;
- Collects, produces and disseminates statistics for home and various away games for the all intercollegiate teams as required by the California Community College Athletic Association, the South Coast Conference, and the Southern California Football Association;
- Serves as the media liaison for sports teams, cultivatrd relationships with external news media; sets up interviews by the media with coaches/student-athletes; and presents story ideas through press releases to increase media coverage of the teams;
- Acts in a lead capacity in the college's press box, which includes responsibility for the timer, scoreboard operator, digital statistician, and spotter during home football games, includingthe training of new crew members when required;
- Performs miscellaneous duties including public address announcing and/or game statistician duties at individual home sports events for the all intercollegiate teams;
- Assists the Sports Hall of Fame/Court of Champions committee in producing and researching all candidates; researchs, writes, and edits biographies on candidates and produces releases on final additions to the HOFICoC;
- Acts in a lead capacity with hourly workers;
- Develops, researches, edits and writes sports media guides, brochures, and game handouts; and
- Other duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Methods and practices of presenting information through the mass media, newspaper or internet;
- Contribute, Adobe, Excel, Microsoft Word, Stat Crew and Quark
- Standard office practices, procedures, and equipment;
- Oral and written communication skills;
- Office administration practices and procedures, including recordkeeping and filing of records and files; and,
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Write press releases under same-day deadline pressure;
- Navigate and edit the District website through its portal system;
- Perform editorial work;
- Function in a fast-paced multicultural environment.
- Communicate effectively with officials, faculty, staff, and the public, both orally and in writing;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Work independently with little direction; and,
- Prepare and edit clear and concise reports, correspondence and other materials;
- Assume responsibility and exercise sound judgment;
- Effectively operate personal computer using a variety of software and other office equipment;
- Handle heavy public contact;
- Handle multiple and changing priorities;
- Establish priorities and perform tasks and services to meet deadlines;
- Review situations accurately and determine appropriate action according to established guidelines; and
- Demonstrate clear evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, staff, and community.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of training and experience that would indicate possession of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities appropriate to this assignment. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
- Completion of a four-year university degree in journalism or a related discipline; and
- Two years of experience as a writer and/or editor in a public information office.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Contribute, Adobe, Stat Crew and Quark
- Two years of experience as a sports writer on a daily newspaper
- Two years of experience working in media relations in higher education in an institution that has an intercollegiate athletic program
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; to operate a motor vehicle and to visit various District and meeting sites; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person, before groups, and over the telephone. This is primarily a sedentary office classification although standing and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard, typewriter keyboard, or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Positions in this classification occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 25 pounds.
Employees work in an office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employees may interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
LEVEL OF SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: One year.
Pasadena City College
1570 East Colorado Boulevard, Pasadena, CA 91106
(626) 585-7361 direct ⋅ (626) 525-7924 fax