Under direction of the Dean of Human Resources, performs technical personnel work related to position classification, compensation, evaluation, recruitment, selection, and employment practices; performs a variety of duties requiring a high degree of independent judgment; uses good human-relations and problem-solving skills in the application of established human resources and related procedures; exercises responsibility for the accurate and timely processing of personnel matters; and performs related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Attends to details related to personnel including selection, files, and benefits not requiring the immediate attention of the Dean of Human Resources/Equal Employment Opportunity officer.
- Assists in the recruitment and interviewing process for personnel.
- Screens applications, as appropriate, for general qualifications for vacant positions; schedules and arranges appointments for interviews.
- Prepares equal employment opportunity data flow for each applicant in the selection process; assists with the monitoring of equal employment opportunity compliance; compiles and prepares required data reports.
- Prepares job announcements and openings; places ads in newspapers; disseminates information regarding openings; responds to calls; schedules interviews; interacts with applicants.
- Maintains employee listings.
- Notifies applicants of employment decisions.
- Prepares and maintains confidential files and information relating to personnel data.
- Provides orientation on campus procedures to new employees.
- Maintains personnel files including evaluation, "banked" hours, salary information, and other pertinent documents.
- Compiles and prepares statistical data and survey information.
- Monitors procedures to ensure compliance with negotiated agreements.
- Prepares Consent Items for meetings of the Board of Trustees.
- Attends to details of processing EDD Unemployment claims.
- Inputs and retrieves data from the computer on personnel.
- Provides information and assistance to job applicants and employees regarding employment standards and requirements.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: Any combination of training and experience which would indicate possession of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities appropriate to this assignment. At least two years of increasingly responsible experience in personnel work or administrative assistant work which included a close liaison with a personnel office.
Knowledge and Abilities: Knowledge of general functions, policies, rules and regulations of personnel functions; proper office methods and practices including filing systems, telephone techniques, letter and report writing; computers and word processing programs; mathematical computations; statistical analysis; personnel policies and procedures; public and human relations techniques. Ability to understand and independently carry out complex oral and written instructions; learn, interpret and successfully apply office policies, procedures, rules and regulations; use good judgment in recognizing the scope of authority as delegated; analyze situations and make decisions on procedural matters without immediate supervision; analyze projects under pressure of time; maintain the security and confidentiality of specified records and information; work effectively under stress; communicate effectively in both oral and written form; use appropriate and correct English, spelling, grammar and punctuation; perform mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy; type accurately at 45 words per minute; operate office equipment including a computer; establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties; work in a multiethnic environment.
SKILLS: Computer keyboard skills - 45 net words per minute.
Seeing to inspect written documents, communicate with District staff, sitting for extended periods of time, bending, kneeling and reaching to retrieve and file records, and dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a keyboard and other office equipment.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: One year.
Pasadena City College
1570 East Colorado Boulevard, Pasadena, CA 91106
(626) 585-7361 direct ⋅ (626) 525-7924 fax