Under direction of the Publications Supervisor, to perform a variety of graphic design work in the creation and preparation of materials for publications, reports, displays, the web, and promotional information or instructional projects; and to do related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Creates original designs and layouts for printed publications, including brochures, flyers, postcards, posters, banners, and handbooks.
- Pre-flights digital files and prepares them for both offset and digital press.
- Resizes and retouches digital photos.
- Suggests printing stock and works out budget considerations.
- Designs banners, advertisements, and artwork for the web.
- Works closely with Publications Supervisor to conceptualize original artwork for promotional material.
- At the request of a supervisor, shall perform a variety of unscheduled duties normally and traditionally performed by a Graphic Designer.
Education and Experience: A four-year degree or equivalent from an accredited trade, art school, college or university and three years of graphic design professional experience. Additional experience in commercial graphic design may be substituted for the college work on a year-for-year basis.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat and Illustrator
- Demonstrated experience with publication production workflow
- Working knowledge of QuarkXPress
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong knowledge of pre-flighting process
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS is a plus
- Strong knowledge of four-color printing process
- Demonstrated ability to work on both Mac and PC platforms
- Organizational skills with close attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and juggle multiple projects with tight deadlines
Seeing to inspect written documents, communicate with District staff, sitting for extended periods of time, bending, kneeling and reaching to retrieve and file records, and dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a keyboard and other office equipment.
Probationary Period: One year.
Pasadena City College
1570 East Colorado Boulevard, Pasadena, CA 91106
(626) 585-7361 direct ⋅ (626) 525-7924 fax