Under direction, to facilitate instruction in assigned department by preparing or supervising the preparation of demonstration materials and the distribution and control of study materials and equipment; to do related distribution and control of study materials and equipment; and to do related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Reports directly to division dean but day-to-day supervision is by physics and laser faculty. Under supervision, is responsible for supplies and the custody and maintenance of equipment used for instructional purposes in physics and laser‑electro optics technology.
- Prepares or supervises student assistants preparing laboratory apparatus, charts, displays, models and solutions used in physics and laser electro‑optics; plans the scheduling of work so that instructional materials are ready for appropriate labs and lectures at appropriate time.
- Receives, issues, stores and cares for equipment, materials, software, chemicals and solutions; maintains inventory records on equipment, supplies and other materials.
- Develops instructional materials; collects or assembles samples to illustrate units of study or areas of concentration.
- Initiates and processes requisitions for obtaining replacement equipment, software and supplies as needed.
- Operates, uses and may repair or adjust a variety of equipment necessary for conduct or work in physics and laser electro‑optics technology.
- Maintains or supervises the maintenance of stockroom, storage rooms, lab rooms and student study areas in clean and orderly condition, maintains security of stockroom and labs.
- Does soldering, wiring, carpentry and mechanical work to perform periodic minor maintenance, repair and adjustment of equipment and to set up equipment; performs miscellaneous troubleshooting on equipment.
- In consultation with instructors, constructs and/or helps direct the construction of equipment for labs and demonstrations; assists in the development and integration of instructional software; assists in the operation of demonstration equipment and software.
- Uses hand and power tools, a lather and welding and/or soldering apparatus.
- May supervise lab aides and student helpers and answer questions of students.
- Keeps records, equipment inventory, duplicates materials or performs other clerical duties related to the operation of the department.
- At the request of a supervisor, shall perform a variety of unscheduled duties normally and traditionally performed by a Department Laboratory Technician III‑Physics/Laser Electro‑Optics Technology.
Education and Experience: Any combination equivalent to completion of the AA or AS degree in a field appropriate to this assignment.
Knowledge and Abilities: Knowledge of laboratory equipment, materials, supplies, and procedures appropriate to the physics and laser laboratories and stockrooms; knowledge of elementary stock control methods. Ability to organize work load so that laboratory materials are available and set up at appropriate time; to keep records and carry out complex oral and written instructions; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students and instructors; to work in an ethnically diverse environment; to modify and devise equipment and instruments; to troubleshoot and do minor repairs on devices found in the laboratories.
One year of paid laboratory experience in an appropriate field is desirable.
Seeing to inspect written documents, communicate with District staff, sitting for extended periods of time, bending, kneeling and reaching to retrieve and file records, and dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a keyboard and other office equipment.
Probationary Period: One year.
Pasadena City College
1570 East Colorado Boulevard, Pasadena, CA 91106
(626) 585-7361 direct ⋅ (626) 525-7924 fax