Training and Ongoing Support
As a participant in the program, you will receive a variety of training and ongoing support to help form a strong Mentor-Mentee relationship.
The Initial Training serves as an introduction to the program and will include the following topics:
- Objectives, format, and responsibilities of mentor
- Adult learning principles, teaching strategies/techniques, differences in mentor/mentee orientation, and stages of development
- Institutional characteristics, culture, and resources
- Typical mentor/mentee activities
- Effective communication strategies
Format of the Training
Part 1: Canvas shell
As a program participant, you will be added to our canvas shell. Through Canvas you will engage in a variety of readings/discussions prior to the summer training as well as have access to additional resources.
Part 2: Two-day Summer training
- Day 1, August 22, 2018, 9 am - 3pm: Mentors Orientation
- Day 2, August 23, 2018, 12 - 4pm: Mentor/Mentee introduction. Topics will include setting boundaries, expectations, communication protocols, and meeting schedules.
Throughout the academic year, you will be invited to monthly meet-ups for mentors and mentees. Meet-ups will cover topics of interest as identified by the mentor/mentees.