Request Your Benefits Each Semester

Certification is not automatic, so make sure to complete the Request for Benefits form before the start of each semester. After submitting your request, check with our office to make sure all other documents have been received.

Verify Attendance

Those receiving the Post-9/11 GI Bill® do not have to verify their attendance through the VA. Your school certifying official is responsible for verifying your attendance with VA at the beginning of your term. You are responsible for ensuring that your school certifying official is aware of your enrollment, and any subsequent changes in your schedule.

Learn More

Report Any Changes

Always contact the PCC Veterans' Affairs Office to report any change in your enrollment. Changes such as Add/Drop or Withdrawals, switching courses, etc. need to be reported immediately so that students do not end up owing money back to the VA.

Submit Your Educational Plan to the GI Bill Certifying Office

A counselor approved educational plan must be obtained and filed in the VA Office before the beginning of the second semester benefits are requested. The educational plan is obtained by making a PCC Veteran's Counseling appointment only.

  1. Visit the Veterans Resource Center (W-108) to make an appointment for a veteran's educational plan, or call (626) 585-7226 ext. 4 to schedule an appointment.
  2. You will receive a copy of the educational plan; it is imperative that you follow it and enroll only in courses required for your stated degree objective. Please bring our office a copy once you have one.
  3. The educational plan must be specific and indicate each class you need to fulfill your degree objective (major, pre-requisites, general education requirements, and electives), taking into account all of the coursework you have already completed toward your degree objective. (This means that all transcripts should be received before the appointment is made.)
  4. A new educational plan must be submitted to the Veterans' Affairs Office each year, or each time you change your major/degree objective.

Be aware that the VA places restrictions on what courses you may be paid for. You can only be paid for classes that apply toward completion of your degree objective. A counselor's recommendation may not be payable under VA regulations, especially if the class is a "recommended" elective.

By law, students are also required to declare a major by their second semester. "Undeclared" or "general education" majors are not acceptable for VA purposes.

Renew Applications for FAFSA and other Financial Aid

Each year you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online to determine eligibility for financial aid programs. The FAFSA and the GI Bill® are completely separate programs, and one does not affect or determine the other.