How to Apply
If you are a current PCC student, have good writing skills, and like to help others, we welcome you to apply to be part of our team of student tutors and writing specialists. Be sure to check out the FAQs at the bottom of this page.
Part 1: General Application
All applicants start by submitting the general application form (linked below) or picking up a printed packet in the Writing Center-East (C345).
Then, schedule a time with the Writing Support Center Assistant to come in to write a response to a writing prompt. When you come to write the essay, please bring these with you:
- A copy of your PCC transcripts (unofficial copies are fine)
- A copy of a paper that you have written for a previous English class, preferably at PCC.
Part 2: Initial Screening
After you have written the essay and submitted the other documents, we will conduct an initial screening. All applicants will be contacted after the initial screening. If you are selected to continue, you will be invited to come in for a sample tutoring session and interview.
Tutoring Session And Interview
You will be given a student essay to review and time to review it. Then, we will ask you to share what the writer can do to improve the paper. This will not be a role-playing situation. The review of the sample paper will be followed by an interview.
Completion Of The Hiring Process
After the sample tutoring session and interview, we will contact applicants, usually within a week, to inform them whether we can offer them a position.
Also, at this point, we ask all newly-hired tutors to take a grammar assessment. Those newly hired tutors who have areas where they need work will be given a course of study to prepare them for tutoring.
We want to start all newly hired writing tutors as soon as they are cleared by the Human Resources Department at PCC, so they can gain hands-on experience.
Still have questions or want to schedule the first few steps?
Please contact the Writing Support Center Assistant, Mary Presley, to schedule when you will come in to complete the writing sample. You can e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at (626)585-7089.
Frequently Asked Questions
Writing tutors enjoy the convenience and experience this job provides as they have opportunities to work on the PCC campus. Students can work before, after, and between classes. Our tutors enjoy the opportunity to work with a diverse group of co-workers, students, and faculty.
- Most of our writing tutors work between 5 to 15 hours per week depending on how many hours they want to work and how well their schedules match our needs.
- Very few employees work more than 15 hours per week. The writing tutor position is designed to be a part-time job.
- We try very hard to give employees continuous blocks of time to work so they don’t have many one or two-hour shifts.
- We also try to avoid scheduling a worker late one day and early the next day.
Our starting rate is $11.00 for students.