How to Apply
If you are a current PCC student, have good writing skills, and like to help others, we welcome you to apply to be part of our team of student tutors and writing specialists. Be sure to check out the FAQs at the bottom of this page for questions about eligibility, etc.
Part 1: General Application
All applicants start by submitting the general application form (linked below). Be sure that you contact the professors whom you list as references, so they know we will be contacting them.
After you have filled out the online application form, you will be contacted and asked to submit:
- A sample of your writing from a previous class, preferably at PCC.
- A document where you comment on your writing process for that paper. Title the document “My Writing Process”
- A copy of your PCC transcripts (unofficial copies are fine)
Part 2: Initial Screening
After you have submitted the documents and we have heard back from your references, we will conduct an initial screening. All applicants will be contacted after the initial screening. If you are selected to continue, you will be invited for a sample tutoring session and interview via Zoom.
Tutoring Session And Interview
When your interview begins, we will share a student essay with you to review. After you have had ten minutes to review the paper, we will ask you to share what the writer can do to improve the paper. This will not be a role-playing situation. The review of the sample paper will be followed by interview questions.
Completion Of The Hiring Process
After the tutoring session and interview, we will contact applicants, usually within a week, to inform them whether we can offer them a position.
We want all newly hired writing tutors to start as soon as they are cleared by the Human Resources Department at PCC, so they can gain hands-on experience.
Still have questions?
Please contact the Writing Support Center Assistant, Yasmina Danic.
You can e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at (626)585-7752.
Frequently Asked Questions
Writing tutors enjoy the convenience and experience this job provides as they have opportunities to work on the PCC campus. Students can work before, after, and between classes. Our tutors enjoy the opportunity to work with a diverse group of co-workers, students, and faculty.
Current PCC students who planning to enroll in 6 or more units next fall and who have completed (or are about to complete) English 1A are eligible to apply. We also ask for a commitment to work at least two consecutive 16-week semesters (in other words, all of the 2020-2021 academic year).
- Most of our writing tutors work between 5 to 15 hours per week depending on how many hours they want to work and how well their schedules match our needs.
- Very few employees work more than 15 hours per week. The writing tutor position is designed to be a part-time job.
- We try very hard to give employees continuous blocks of time to work so they don’t have many one or two-hour shifts.
- We also try to avoid scheduling a worker late one day and early the next day.
Our current starting rate for tutors is $14.25, but this will rise to $15.00 per hour starting July 1, 2020